Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:23 am

Poll: Why do atheists pay so much attention to religion in forums?
This poll is closed.
Because religion predominates the world cultures and atheists are a minority so as to make religion topical
23.08%
6 23.08%
Because the religious pay attention to us!
23.08%
6 23.08%
Nothing better to do I guess
3.85%
1 3.85%
All three options on this poll suck. I'll tell you why...
50.00%
13 50.00%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you think atheists pay so much attention to religion?
Why do you think atheists pay so much attention to religion?
What with the whole point of atheism being not accepting *god*fable, superstition, myth, irrational philosophy as credible or true, how is it that it seems at any given atheist forum the predominant subject discussed is religion, god, the religious, and it seems Christianity especially?

*edit missing word*
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
RE: Why do you think atheists pay so much attention to religion?
(July 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: What with the whole point of atheism being not accepting fable, superstition, myth, irrational philosophy as credible or true, how is it that it seems at any given atheist forum the predominant subject discussed is religion, god, the religious, and it seems Christianity especially?

It's really hard to talk about disbelief. "you don't believe either....cool" would be the gist of the conversation.
People don't usually talk about what they don't believe in, but rather what they DO believe in.
In the western world, Xianity is the dominant "In your face" religion and is ~2B strong so it's what tends to be the focus
of debate and rancor for many ex-xians.

(July 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: What with the whole point of atheism being not accepting fable, superstition, myth, irrational philosophy as credible or true, how is it that it seems at any given atheist forum the predominant subject discussed is religion, god, the religious, and it seems Christianity especially?
Firstly, atheism is not about "not accepting fable, superstition, myth, irrational philosophy". Plenty of atheists believe fables, superstitions, myths, and irrational philosophies. The only thing that unites atheists is their lack of a belief in God. That also answers your question about why we discuss things other than atheism; it gets very very boring, very very fast.

I'm serious, if all we could talk about on this forum was atheism, discussions would be over and done within a day. We need to talk about more interesting things, like philosophy, or religion (since atheism is closely related to religion). Christianity is more talked about because (a) it is the most popular religion on the planet, and (b) most atheists were once Christians.
You have to remember that religion, especially Christianity, are literally everywhere in western society. Everywhere that an atheist in the U.S. or the U.K. (etc) looks... there it is... some reference to religion. Every time we watch the news, some politician is talking about religion or some athlete is thanking 'god' for the hard work the athlete put in. It goes on and on. Religion is everywhere and when atheistic types get together... we naturally can't help blowing off a little steam about it.
On top of the reasons mentioned, religion will almost definitely have an impact on everybody's lives. Like Paul said it's everywhere, and can influence so many things such as laws, architecture, clothing, society, people's mindsets and even their tolerences towards other people etc. Everything really.

In short, I personally like (or feel the need) to talk about religion because it directly affects me in some way or another, and I bet everyone else is the same.
I think that to label yourself as an Atheist takes a certain level of knowledge and a certain type of person. You should have weighed up all the options that are available. That includes learning about different religions as well as science, culture and history.

For this reason religion becomes a draw, IT is a unifying thing in which we can discuss and debate.

I used to live in a room full of mirrors; all I could see was me. I take my spirit and I crash my mirrors, now the whole world is here for me to see.
Jimi Hendrix

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
Kurt Cobain
Atheists are not an identifiable group. The people one meets on atheist forums are atypical in my experience.

I live in Australia, a secular country with a high atheist population (including many politicians,past and present)

Although Aussies tend to have a healthy contempt for clergy and organised religion,it's not a topic which usually comes up in polite company.
Most Aussies are too busy getting on with life to spend much time navel gazing.

We do get upset with some of the loopier fundies,when they start sticking their oar in.

A common Australian attitude is "I'm here for a good time,not a long time"
Because I don't give a rat's left ankle about religion. And anyone who does is just being moronic.

Granted... if we're paying attention as a joke: everything's kosher ^_^
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I believe that the majority of Atheists pay so much attention to religion because they know it can be, and is, a dangerous force. Most Atheists that pay attention are deconverts, mostly. This means that the issue is very close to home. Why wouldn't Atheists want to spread science? After all, if you're in love, don't you want to tell the world?
Because the fairy tale set keeps showing up here and annoying us with their god shit.

Otherwise, I don't think about their shit at all. It's no more important to my life than Hansel and Gretel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 5587 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5369 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3033 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7046 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4958 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2099 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 15742 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1027 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  What do atheists think of pagans and wiccans Woah0 56 3862 September 18, 2022 at 5:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Illustrating the burden of proof - pay me! Nachos_of_Nurgle 109 6243 February 18, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: GrandizerII