Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Times: Monkeys Have A Sense Of Morality
The Times: Monkeys Have A Sense Of Morality
Quote:Monkeys have a sense of morality, say scientists
Jonathan Leake, Science Editor
MONKEYS and apes have a sense of morality and the rudimentary ability to tell right from wrong, according to new research.

In a series of studies scientists have found that monkeys and apes can make judgments about fairness, offer altruistic help and empathise when a fellow animal is ill or in difficulties. They even appear to have consciences and the ability to remember obligations.

The research implies that morality is not a uniquely human quality and suggests it arose through evolution. That could mean the strength of our consciences is partly determined by our genes.

Such findings are likely to antagonise fundamentalist religious groups. Some believe the ability to form moral judgments is a God-given quality that sets humans apart.

The scientists say, however, that the evidence is clear. “I am not arguing that non-human primates are moral beings but there is enough evidence for the following of social rules to agree that some of the stepping stones towards human morality can be found in other animals,” said Frans de Waal, professor of psychology at Emory University in Georgia in the United States.

[Read The Entire Article Here]

This is really cool, I've even known atheists take a stand against this kind of idea (though why mystifies me).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: The Times: Monkeys Have A Sense Of Morality
There are some wacky atheists out there. Embrace science!
(March 10, 2009 at 11:06 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
Quote:Monkeys have a sense of morality, say scientists
Jonathan Leake, Science Editor
MONKEYS and apes have a sense of morality and the rudimentary ability to tell right from wrong, according to new research.

In a series of studies scientists have found that monkeys and apes can make judgments about fairness, offer altruistic help and empathise when a fellow animal is ill or in difficulties. They even appear to have consciences and the ability to remember obligations.

The research implies that morality is not a uniquely human quality and suggests it arose through evolution. That could mean the strength of our consciences is partly determined by our genes.

Such findings are likely to antagonise fundamentalist religious groups. Some believe the ability to form moral judgments is a God-given quality that sets humans apart.

The scientists say, however, that the evidence is clear. “I am not arguing that non-human primates are moral beings but there is enough evidence for the following of social rules to agree that some of the stepping stones towards human morality can be found in other animals,” said Frans de Waal, professor of psychology at Emory University in Georgia in the United States.

[Read The Entire Article Here]

This is really cool, I've even known atheists take a stand against this kind of idea (though why mystifies me).

Kyu

I thought it was already fairly well understood that "morality" is partly social and partly genetic in origin, in the latter case having presumably been selected for its utility in a social species. So it would hardly seem surprising that monkeys have monkey morality. I would think that dogs also would have at least an analogue of morality, in the sense of a learned or genetic predisposition toward certain types of socially useful behavior.

I believe that Darwin theorized that there is group selection, in which the group deselects socially intolerable individuals and thus weakens or eliminates their chance of contributing to the gene pool. My understanding is that this wasn't credited very much at first, but that it's becoming a more widely accepted idea.

But I wonder about this particular article since it appears to suggest that there exists an objective standard of right and wrong. What is right and what is wrong in this entirely determined by the group, it would seem. The article would be better written if it said that certain primates appear to have a normative sense that accords with that of many human beings.
Quote:I thought it was already fairly well understood that "morality" is partly social and partly genetic in origin

Sadly it is not widely understood, accepted and most don't even think about it.

Right and Wrong?

Why do people justify their wrongs to make them right?

For an average human being, is the idea of right and wrong not simple enough?
This is acctually not specially suprising. I have seen Adrian showing that he has moral and sometimes he almost seem to be Big Grin That's amazing concidering that he is an ape!
I thought only football players were monkeys.Smile
Real football or handegg which americans for some reason all football?
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 514 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Cloned monkeys: First primate clones are created in lab shadow 2 519 January 25, 2018 at 5:56 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  We gave Narcan to one particular addict 20 times in one month vorlon13 6 1041 October 4, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Humans evolved from monkeys Old Baby 72 7052 March 10, 2016 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  This Makes A Lot of Sense Minimalist 5 1466 June 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: ideologue08
  More on Monkeys and Sex. The Grand Nudger 0 879 December 9, 2012 at 11:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do monkeys wonder? downbeatplumb 3 1487 June 21, 2011 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: 5thHorseman
  Evolution of morality OnlyNatural 34 11797 March 16, 2011 at 5:32 am
Last Post: lilphil1989
  monkeys display self doubt like humans downbeatplumb 9 3837 March 4, 2011 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: azharrison
  Scientists find protein that destroys HIV in monkeys. Tiberius 14 5149 August 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet