Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I really hate things that were founded by religion
I really hate things that were founded by religion
mostly things that were started by a religion or religion followers but became cultural or mainstream, lately its been mostly the mainstream Calendar (supposedly 1 AD is when Jesus was born), it got to the point where I'm starting to hate using dates unless I have to.

I also hate laws or social behavior "standards" founded by religion but are now standard & aren't associated with religion (like "normal relationships" or victimless crimes), countries (like Israel or Saudi Arabia), Holidays (like Christmas, Hanikah, or Eid being official days off), weekends (they were the days of worship, but now are mainstream days off).

I'm newly atheist by the way, I started being skeptic around four years ago (when I graduated from high school), but after further research, I became an atheist around 6 months ago.

does anybody else feel the same way?
RE: I really hate things that were founded by religion
Yeah but a lot of it is like beating your head against a wall. Are theists assholes?
Yes. The vast majority are dumbfucks who never had an original idea in their lives.

But there are a lot of them and that can really fuck up a democracy.

Learn to pick your shots. Your blood pressure will thank you for it.

Welcome aboard, btw.
Sounds like you're overreacting. It doesn't really matter where the customs come from. Some of the months of the year are named after Roman gods or Emperors (July = Julius, August = Augustus), the days in the Romantic languages are from Roman gods also (Vendredi = Venus). It's a glimpse into the past, accepting social customs doesn't mean you have to believe in the original doctrine. The longer things go on, the more you'll see the things from religion that are poisonous will fade out, like slavery and homophobia. What we're left with is history. Something for our descendants to look back and laugh at.

Think of the way you view Greek/Roman/Norse gods. One day, we can all hope that people will view current religions in the same way.
I know what you mean about the dates it would cooler to be the year 5000 and something rather than measley 2011.

however we have to deal with the society that we live in a society that has many thesitic hangovers and we just have to deal with the inoffensive ones.

Anyway I like christmas.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

There are things that were not started by religion, but used religion to be implemented: week ends and holidays are a great example of that. People realized that humans need some time off and then used religion to explain it as "god's day". Same for the calendar: they needed it to be in common for everyone, and that was the best way they found to do it.
(August 12, 2011 at 1:55 am)A_Vamp Wrote: Holidays (like Christmas, Hanikah, or Eid being official days off)

Hah, I think those are the best part of religion! Either you get a couple of days off, or then you work and get paid double. Me likey! Big Grin

Quote:weekends (they were the days of worship, but now are mainstream days off)

Not for everyone. I have rarely my weekends off, it totally depends on one's work.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

The religious holidays usually coincide with some natural this or that. Even the saints days were used as an agricultural calendar. People commemorate events and dates in a way that is compatible with their culture, nothing to get worked up over. Except christmas. Jolly red fucking home invader.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I guess I am kinda overreacting, maybe its because I'm new & I feel bitter, good thing my parents weren't that religious anyway (they still take religion seriously, they don't know about my atheism).

@Kayenneh:
getting paid double is the best thing about the holidays I guess, but I still wish holidays were of something more significant instead of fairy tales.
Judaism = sneaky evil.
Christianity = divide & conquere.
Islam = in your face evil.

same religion, different PR.
just take delight in knowing that they are wasting their lives while you sit and chill whilst observing the real beauties in this world
Cunt
Some on this forum might consider me one of the more openly hostile members towards christianity (all respect to Min Tongue).

But that doesn't mean I let it get that carried away. I still sing the occasional religious christmas carol, and I actually like crosses (not crucifixes - yuck!), and a number of other things regularly associated with x-tians.

Mins right. Pick and choose your battles - you don't want to be known as the unreasonable hot-head anywhere in life.

Welcome.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 5616 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3361 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why do you hate God? johndoe122931 100 7305 June 3, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1577 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Statistics, the perfect weapon to justify hate? Ferrocyanide 12 1561 December 21, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Honestly, I hate the thought of god, zeus and jesus Apex1050 22 2628 July 10, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4130 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7708 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist hate having to constantly repeat this.... Brian37 33 6755 October 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis