Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chimps are more like humans than we knew
Exclamation 
Chimps are more like humans than we knew
Here's a link to an article that basically says that young Chimpanzees have been observed playing with toys and thus using imagination, something it was once believed by society that only humans had.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/...with_dolls

Of course, fundies will continue to deny this, as they deny that we share about 98% of our DNA with Chimps and Bonobos. Most likely, they'll claim that this behavior was taught to them by humans or placed in Chimps by the devil to decieve us. Alternatively, they'll just say that it's completely fake.

What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
RE: Chimps are more like humans than we knew
It is slowly happening! The darn apes are gonna take over earth!
Cunt
Of course chimps are more like humans than some people would admit. I mean it would be pretty embarrassing for creationists to admit they are precisely like chimps.Big Grin

But I have to say the notion that we share 98% of genes with chimps is evocative but can be misleading. For one thing, majority of the genes we share with chimps don't have any function, as far as we can tell. So the fact that they are the same between us and the chimp doesn't say much about just how physically and behaviorally different we are, since those are controlled only by genes that have functions. For another, the genes that are actually different between us and chimp are often not just a little different, but very different. So where we are different, boy, we are different.
The the upshot is, even if homo sapiens share 98 % of chimp's genes, we are physically and behaviorally far from 98% chimp. Creationist, I am not sure.
(August 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm)Chuck Wrote: Of course chimps are more like humans than some people would admit. I mean it would be pretty embarrassing for creationists to admit they are precisely like chimps.

Hey comparing creationists to chimps is an insult to chimps.
undefined
You don't get much dumber than a creationist, even when you compare creationists to any animal on this planet, even extinct ones like the do-do.
The dumbest things to walk the earth. An insult to not just mankind but nature to.

[Image: 4933136214_63545789dc.jpg]
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(August 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm)Justtristo Wrote:
(August 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm)Chuck Wrote: Of course chimps are more like humans than some people would admit. I mean it would be pretty embarrassing for creationists to admit they are precisely like chimps.

Hey comparing creationists to chimps is an insult to chimps.

Hey, all chimps are not born equal, you know. There are chimps who suffer from the congenital defect of being born without a brain.

(August 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm)Chuck Wrote:
Of course chimps are more like humans than some people would admit. I mean it would be pretty embarrassing for creationists to admit they are precisely like chimps.Big Grin

But I have to say the notion that we share 98% of genes with chimps is evocative but can be misleading. For one thing, majority of the genes we share with chimps don't have any function, as far as we can tell. So the fact that they are the same between us and the chimp doesn't say much about just how physically and behaviorally different we are, since those are controlled only by genes that have functions. For another, the genes that are actually different between us and chimp are often not just a little different, but very different. So where we are different, boy, we are different.
The the upshot is, even if homo sapiens share 98 % of chimp's genes, we are physically and behaviorally far from 98% chimp. Creationist, I am not sure.

Of course. Much DNA is actually useless, the result of various ancient viruses and benign mutations adding on to our DNA without really having an affect. And of course, the simple fact that most basic cells classified as Eukaryotes function the same way (all have mitchondria, and so on) makes up a good amount of that number.

What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Semi-related

Quote:A comparative analysis of chimpanzees and bonobos brains shows neuroanatomical differences that may be responsible for these behaviors, from the aggression more typical of chimpanzees to the social tolerance of bonobos.

http://www.wildbiology.com/research/Chim..._brain.asp

Studying the differences in the brains of bonobos and chimps may lead to new insights into aggressive behavior in people.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1067 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are humans half aliens? Human DNA question Signa92 14 1978 December 30, 2018 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3999 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4489 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2215 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2882 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8720 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are humans Gods? (article by an atheist) ChoklateWolfy 21 3905 March 2, 2017 at 10:11 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1797 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Free will and humans ErGingerbreadMandude 176 13518 March 18, 2016 at 2:19 am
Last Post: IATIA