Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I think might be useful for debates and understanding one another:
What I think might be useful for debates and understanding one another:
Looking at some debates people are having, or have had, it seems to me there might be an issue with arguing at cross purposes and a general misunderstanding of positions, 2.2 billion christians (according to wikipedia), thats 2.2 billion forms of christianity, and we have no idea what type you're arguing for. I propose the following solution(s):

A) short questionnaire that people are asked to fill out before we start arguing. (This is what I have come up with so far, by no means is it complete/perfected, there is a distinct christian focus as it is, and there is stuff I've missed and perhaps unnecessary parts to it):

Please Bold/circle your y/n answers, bold/circle your answer to 'vs' questions, write a response at :______ sections (You can of course write responses wherever you feel that it's important/appropriate or if you feel a y/n answer or the given answers don't fit/do your beliefs justice)

Part 1:

Faith: ______ (if none, proceed to part 2)
Denomination: _______
Particular holy book used: ______

Beliefs about god/s:
Omnipotent: y/n
Omnipresent: y/n
Omniscient: y/n
Omnibenevolent: y/n

Trinity?: ________
Predestination?: _______
Universalism?: _______
Unforgivable sins y/n (if y, what do they include?): __________
Deeds vs faith
Faith as a prerequisite for heaven/paradise:
Any faith, only some faiths, only my faith, any faith or no faith ______________

When will the world end (roughly)?: ____________
Scriptural justification: ______________

Beliefs about satan:
Rules hell and/or in being punished in hell
Has power on earth: y/n, if y, how much?: ___________
Demonic possession? y/n
Working for the lord/a part of gods plan: _________

Beliefs about afterlife
Eternal? y/n
Nature of punishments: ____________
Nature of rewards: __________
Middle ground? (eg purgatory/limbo) ________________
Maximum capacity? __________________

Beliefs about holy books:
God's word vs gods inspired word
All still relevant y/n
if n, which parts are/aren't, and why? ___________
Inerrant in it's current form (in whole)? y/n
if no: are specific book/parts inerrant? y/n ________
if no: inerrant in it's original form? y/n
Chapters/books included/excluded ___________
Literal truth vs metaphor
Age of the universe:___________

Knowledge vs belief:
You believe, but is KNOWLEDGE that a god or gods exist possible? y/n
Is knowledge about this god's attributes possible/available? y/n

Evidence:
Do you have any evidence that a god exists, the bible is a true account of events.... y/n
Is this evidence personal or freely available for anybody to verify?
What is the evidence: _________________

Part 2
I define agnosticism as: ____________________
I define atheism as: __________________
I am an: _____________________
I define negative and possitive atheism as:__________________
I define anti-theism as: _____________________
I define dystheism/maltheism/misotheism as:______________________

Idea b) Bio's. Linked to in signatures perhaps, a second part in bio's for answering questions like the ones in the questionnaire, and really defining one's own belief/lack there of. I have a personal bio what I enjoy, hobbies... and an antitheistic, agnostic/gnostic atheist (depends on which god concept) bio (Not that I've filled my bio out, I keep meaning to...).

Idea c) Something I've had floating around in my mind for a while now, wouldn't it be great if there was a program/website that let first make a bio, and then highlight parts of the bible (would probably use the KJV [Whats the most popular by the way?]). So you'd read it and as you go highlight each segment (or groups of them) as any/all/some of the following:

Literal truth
Metaphor
Still relevant/no longer relevant (option to add justifications and link to other passages/sites...)
Particularly good examples of goodness (Cherry red colour)
Mistranslation (option to state how it SHOULD read)
Later addition, not by the original author (option: justification/evidence)
Read but no judgment (This one would be prompted at the end of each chapter)

Options for us lot as well:
Cherry red
(complimentary to red is a green yeah?) Sickly/radioactive green for particularly nasty segments
"there is evidence to the contrary" (with options to justify/link)

also options right at the start to tick a) complete bunk b)Literal truth and c) all still relevant.

And then at the end there are other features such as a tally % wise of the different options chosen, comparisons to others from a) your group, b) other groups, everyone...

Any advice on getting this third idea up 'n' running? I personally think it's a good idea, it promotes bible literacy in everyone and asks people to think about their beliefs.
RE: What I think might be useful for debates and understanding one another:
You work for the Census Department, don't you?

Tongue
What are you trying to say? =P
(October 2, 2011 at 2:28 am)Stue Denim Wrote: What are you trying to say? =P

Min is being polite.

I'm not polite: On first glance the idea seems annoyingly pedantic,and just a smidge impertinent. I would not fill out such a form.

I'm as clear as I can be in the way I express myself. However,I don't care all that much if some strangers on some internet forum (or in real life for that matter) 'understand me' or I them.

Allan Shore: "Denny,aren't you afraid you'll die without anyone having really known you?"

Denny Crane "Hell no! I don't want people to know me, I want them to know MY version!"
Quote: On first glance the idea seems annoyingly pedantic

Granted

Quote:and just a smidge impertinent. I would not fill out such a form.

Certainly not my intent, (well, had a bit of a laugh in the 3rd one, but we're talking about the 1st) would certainly want to fix that. What part in particular, or the concept of the questionnaire as a whole, or the way I've done it....?

I have to fill out forms. Must be a compulsive :S

I had a similar thought about the religious views thing... it would help for people to know exactly where you're coming from I thought.
Filled it in because I must Tongue:

It's actually a good questionnaire.
Stue, that would extremely helpful with trolly a-holes. However, I agree with Pad. It would be impertinent to ask people to fill that out to post here. I don't think it is impertinent of you to try to come up with ideas to help, though. I just think, after these thousands of years, the matter is beyond help.
I thought he was asking for it before entering serious debate & not regular posting!? Although it'd be nice to know more about people's positions, and that seems a simple and straightforward one for theists. We could have it as a voluntary template for new members... suggested in the site intro somewhere?? The non theist one needs a little work tho' Tongue

Quote:What part in particular, or the concept of the questionnaire as a whole, or the way I've done it....?

I did not mean to suggest you were being intentionally impertinent.It's clear you want to help,and I appreciate the sentiment.

It's the concept;inappropriate when joining a forum,and really none of your business. Nor will it stop trolls,or Poes.This may come as a shock,but people tell untruths,especially when filling out forms.(hell,I do)

It might be useful to identify theists IF you were going to ban them on sight,which I'd love. (no offence Tacky or Rayaan, you two are rare exceptions here) Cool Shades

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7056 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What do atheists think of pagans and wiccans Woah0 56 3873 September 18, 2022 at 5:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2763 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions Transcended Dimensions 357 54149 April 27, 2018 at 7:14 am
Last Post: polymath257
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9408 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38816 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4692 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 2906 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5447 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheist Debates Project - Matt Dillahunty LadyForCamus 54 9825 September 6, 2016 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus