Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope for the next generation
Hope for the next generation
I came across this from the Richard Dawkins' Foundation website, and no doubt some of you will have already seen this. It's a fairly tame but nonetheless encouraging encounter between an eight year old who apparently has her head screwed firmly on, and Christopher Hitchens.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/...ding-list/

However, rather than this be a short lived thread where we all go 'awww, look at the little tinker asking Hitchens questions about books', I thought maybe we could open up more broadly to a discussion about how you guys think the next generation will experience religion and atheism, how the demographics might shift and what the children of today are likely to have to deal with. For those of you with children, what do you teach them about the world? Are they the sorts of children likely to do as Mason did and ask such questions, or have such a passion for learning?

I have some thoughts on this which I'll add soon, but in the meantime, take it away.
RE: Hope for the next generation
I can only say that my two (both over the age of 20) are atheistic in their world views. (Mum does the *sigh of relief) They are both curious about everything and yes I am so proud of them as they keep connections with family and friends...they'l do ok Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I actually did start to tear up. I'm going to have to come back to this in a couple hours. This is very good.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Aside from fostering a belief that daddy is psychic and omnipresent, I hope to raise a clutch of clear headed minions myself.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
There is little hope.
When I finally finish my virus to bring the dead back to life, everyone is doomed to a life of radical survival and anarchy.
It'll freakin' sweet.
Cunt
My son, Joseph, is 7 years old and watches Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking every night while he's winding down before bed, and has for about 3 months now. Before that it was the BBC miniseries version of The Hitchhiker's Guide. He loves science, and excels in math. Though I remind him from time to time that he's very young and doesn't have to make a decision about what his beliefs are, but he says he doesn't want to believe in god because, "God doesn't make sense when ya think about it." He also loves Pokemon, Sonic, and WWE, so he's a normal kid. He just happens to have a mom that shoots it straight.

My daughter, Ali, is 5 and has a better sense of awareness than any child I have known at her age. She speaks her mind, and has been banned from her father's church for doing so. She asks a million questions a day, never seeming to find satisfaction. You might've seen me refer to god in my posts as "Mr. God"... I got this from her. She likes to watch horror films, and won't wear anything without "bones" on it (skulls). I admit she is a peculiar child, but she's destined for greatness, I just know it.

My daughter, Liz, just turned 3. She is still a baby in so many ways. She's has a very sweet nature, is girly, quiet, and shy. Although she has a limited attention span, she sits in on all our family lessons.

Every week my children and I have an open discussion about anything and everything. We talk about the universe, evolution, ancient myth, wars, history, morals, etc. I even read them parts of the bible sometimes if it's theology we're discussing. They know all about homosexuality, as their Uncle Cris was gay, and I have been moved to tears with pride on several occasions with how they fearlessly stand up against bigotry, be it from their father or anyone else. I want my children to live in reality and be prepared for the real world, ready to approach it with a broad understanding of how it works.

My three kids seem to be atheistic at the moment, despite the best efforts of their spiritualist mum.

It could change however as i dont ram my opinions down their throats.

Generally the population seem to be doing quite strange stuff, I,ve heard women in my offce talking about visiting psychics and reading their astrology religiously.

It always seems to be women that believe these things, they seem to see themselves as the 'spiritual' sex.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Offer to read their horoscope for them out of the newspaper, then read them somebody else's. When they agree with it, point out the error. Won't stop them, but worth a giggle anyway.
Dodgy

I wish the counselor had let me do something similar after our Myers-Briggs tests.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I have a lot of hope, even Israel(highest phd/100persons) is 37% atheist/agnostic.

The better education is and the more science moves on, the more people will question religion.

So Texas is fucked.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3759 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1420 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2112 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3143 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2900 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 10042 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, cali0 38 6892 November 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 152 13679 August 23, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: InsaneDane
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, Gustavo1 71 10169 August 19, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Dont buy into the sickness affecting your generation!" Socratic Meth Head 13 2439 March 22, 2016 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Joods