Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grassroots Activism
Grassroots Activism
[i]We have just wrapped up the Atheist Alliance America convention in Houston. We're talking Dawkins, Hitchens, and Shermer! You should have been there!!

The theme of the convention was "From Grassroots to Global Impact" and many of the presentations focused on what you can do in your local community to increase awareness and acceptance of our world view. This included political activism and coordination with other secular and moderate religious groups on specific public policy issues on which we agree.

I would like to hear from you some of the actions you have taken, are taking, or will take in your community to achieve these goals. I want to share your success stories with members and affiliates of AAAmerica.
RE: Grassroots Activism
I beg your pardon...who are you?

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I expect that this is it.

President - Nick Lee

Atheist Alliance of America

TOM MELCHIORRE, SECULAR WORLD EDITOR Wrote:Atheists Convention Brings Rain to Drought Texas

Now I'm at the Houston Bush Airport just watching the rain storm. The rain that started last night in east Texas and worked its way to Houston this morning, increasing considerably throughout the day. The rain storm that the atheists brought with them, our Muslim taxi driver told us, in a grateful voice.

To water the scorched earth of Texas, which hasn't seen rain since May, in spite of evangelical Governor Rick Perry's pleas for the public to pray to god for it rain. In spite of the fact that all praying by evangelical Governor Rick Perry resulted in all the rain prayed for going everywhere but Texas.

Oh, the irony. The delicious irony.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
That's wonderful - Nick, if this is you, may I ask that you make an introduction thread for yourself so we can welcome you properly? It will make people more amenable to answering your questions.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(October 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I beg your pardon...who are you?

I'm sorry, I thought my signature would automatically appear, or that my profile would be explanatory.

I am President of Atheist Alliance of America (http://www.atheistallianceamerica.org) and am trying to launch a nation-wide campaign of grassroots activism among the Affiliates and members of AAAmerica.

Did you have a suggestion?

Nick Lee
Can't really do much at my age, and my little understanding of politics. Dodgy
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(October 17, 2011 at 8:28 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: Can't really do much at my age, and my little understanding of politics. Dodgy

Ah, but now that you know what you don't know, you know what to do about it!

What social issues turn your crank? What injustices in the world, caused by religious belief, are being perpetuated by public policies? Learn about them, go after them, oppose them, get involved with non-atheist groups that think the way you do! Talk to people! Rouse the rabble!!
Sorry AAAprez but to me you are no different than any other sheep's dag that has blown in here spruiking activism.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Most times I feel unable to do anything helpful. I'm surrounded by theists. What can I do?

Hello Nick,

Welcome to the forums. Good to hear the convention went well. Great
While on the topic, what can be done about televangelists that give out not just bad advice but dangerous advice to its sheeple?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enough of this shit. Time for some activism FebruaryOfReason 3 1490 March 25, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13