Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're Finally Going to Confirm It...
We're Finally Going to Confirm It...
Straight from Dr. John Ellis' e-mail:

Quote:Despite Ed's lamentations about Carbs, it turns out Walmart SuperCenters are the actual cause of obesity:

Abstract
Researchers have linked the rise in obesity to technological progress reducing the opportunity cost of food consumption and increasing the opportunity cost of physical activity. We examine this hypothesis in the context of Walmart Supercenters, whose advancements in retail logistics have translated to substantial reductions in the prices of food and other consumer goods. Using data from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System matched with Walmart Supercenter entry dates and locations, we examine the effects of Supercenters on body mass index (BMI) and obesity. We account for the endogeneity of Walmart Supercenter locations with an instrumental variables approach that exploits the unique geographical pattern of Supercenter expansion around Walmart’s headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas. An additional Supercenter per 100,000 residents increases average BMI by 0.24 units and the obesity rate by 2.3% points. These results imply that the proliferation of Walmart Supercenters explains 10.5% of the rise in obesity since the late 1980s, but the resulting increase in medical expenditures offsets only a small portion of consumers’ savings from shopping at Supercenters.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...9010000690

/ Yes, I know about correlation and causation.
/ They should do one on Costco and Sams Club - the latter caused my weight gain.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: We're Finally Going to Confirm It...
I thought you were about to tell us Gaddafi is dead.
Pshht...who cares about that?

J/k, I haven't heard much about that yet.
Yeah, I saw the picture of his corpse... I really didn't want to see it, tbh.

Curiosity is a bitch.
Cunt
I have always found Krogers to be substantially less expensive than Walmart, especially after using the Kroger discount card.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I wish there was one near me, but the only way I get cheaper is Dollar General. And let's face it...my sweet ass doesn't need to deal with unnecessary roughness. So Wal-Mart it is.
(October 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm)frankiej Wrote: Yeah, I saw the picture of his corpse... I really didn't want to see it, tbh.

Curiosity is a bitch.

I thought it was funny.
Simple. Put the drumstick down and step away from the chicken.

I see four people in a small car (and I have no idea how they get in and out of that thing), but they are walking in to an 'all you can eat buffet' (after parking in the handicap zone) and trust me, those folks can put some food away. I watch the same people in the store and they are eating while they are shopping. It definitely is not Wal-mart. Wal-mart just happens to be 'everywhere' and the 'fact' that they account for only 10.5% considering their presence, should further suggest that there is no correlation.

Anyway, Gaddafi is dead? No kidding?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Yeah -- after they captured him, one of the guys took Gaddafi's golden handgun and shot him in the head. All while other people are shouting "Don't shoot -- we need him for later!"

Impulse control's a bitch.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Who the fuck cares that this guy is dead? Certainly not me. I'm too busy worrying about making my girlfriend smile to be concerned with small matters like international wars and alien invasions as the zombie apocalypse begins.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone going to the March for Science in D.C.? Mudhammam 6 970 February 25, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  What the hell is going on in the Artic? Jehanne 23 3669 November 21, 2016 at 10:11 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Maybe this will shut creationists up finally dyresand 34 5107 April 27, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Reaching for the stars, finally - will the young ones among us get pics of Alpha C.? Alex K 33 4434 April 15, 2016 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Thinking of going back to school... Ravenshire 15 3137 July 4, 2014 at 10:59 am
Last Post: eyemixer