Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best anti-virus/firewall
Best anti-virus/firewall
I've tried Zone Alarm, Norton and am currently using Virgin Media's own security software but the trouble with all these systems is that they all seem to hog the processor and slow things down.

Even with this quad core 64bit PC I use I notice this effect.

Question is, what is the best security software that strikes a good balance between protection and using the PC's resources?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Best anti-virus/firewall
Kichi and I use Escan.

Shits all over Nortons and you don't even notice it on your system.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Try here Dad.
http://www.escanav.com/english/

Been using eScan for 5 years now. I would recommend it for any OS
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'm an Avast fan (free version). Top rated and talks like a pirate if you want. Small footprint too.

MSE (microsoft security essentials)(also free) is very highly rated now but I had loads of problems with the updates sticking. Hence why I've dumped it everywhere I'd had it installed. With avast I can just forget it.

You should check AV Comparatives to make your choice: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Peter Norton is a god and his corporate AV is pretty slick, but the home AV product sucks balls. The above free alternatives stomp all over it
Thank you peoples Big Grin I'm giving escan a try...
(November 12, 2011 at 8:11 am)Darwinian Wrote: Thank you peoples Big Grin I'm giving escan a try...

Initial download is $50.00 something AUD subsequent renewals are $30 AUD or there abouts.

Mine is due 30th November Zen just updated his I have found eScan pretty good for capturing those bugs that Norton's lets through

Do you have Malware-bytes?? another good anti malware programme
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Seems pretty good. I paid £31 for a years licence with automatic renewal Big Grin
(November 12, 2011 at 9:21 am)Darwinian Wrote: Seems pretty good. I paid £31 for a years licence with automatic renewal Big Grin

That would equate to what we pay in AUD Dad. I have never had any dramas with it other than it's scheduled updates which I initiate at start-up. beyond that it is very low CPU resource dependant and with the Internet suite will give you pop ups regarding any unusual activity to your ISP address or computer. ..

meh I like it and will be renewing on the 30th
If you're using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, I recommend Add-ons of Adblocker Plus and Noscript. They'll block the viruses from advertisements and any malicious scripts in internet.

They'll even block the new generation of viruses that Microsoft security essentials may or may not detect.

My programs:
-Microsoft security essentials (free)
-Malwarbytes Anti-Malware (have free version/freeware)
-CCleaner (free)<---- I just use this program to clean browser's history, cookies and any saved passwords. Plus, it can clean some registry problems.

But the best anti-virus is you since you're the one controlling the computer, so be resourceful. Just sparing my thoughts. Smile
I never go anywhere without Adblock now. I alse use OpenDNS to block the ads before they waste my bandwidth.

MalwareBytes is an excellent cleaner. I'd rather prune manually than use CCleaner, tho' it good as a last resort. Both I use if there's already been an infection. Never before.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  malware or virus (or both) paulpablo 23 3415 June 14, 2015 at 4:23 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Either the most benign or the most insidious virus I've ever come across... Rev. Rye 2 1384 February 2, 2014 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye