Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Either the most benign or the most insidious virus I've ever come across...
Either the most benign or the most insidious virus I've ever come across...
Last night, something strange happened; I was in the middle of reading Wikipedia's "Samizdat" article when, out of nowhere, I was redirected to a page advertising "PC Protector." PC Protector is a known virus, one which is known to be invisible to many anti-virus searchers. However, despite the redirect, it's not behaving too differently from normal, with the possible exception of a jerky mouse. The really strange thing is, it may just be because I'm being very cautious about which sites and how many I'm popping into at the moment, but it hasn't happened again yet.

However, I've ran a full scan of my computer with the following:
  • Microsoft Security Essentials.
  • Two Versions of Spybot-Search and Destroy
  • Malwarebytes
  • The Latest version of Adaware. (Freshly downloaded)

Not one of them found anything (with the exception of one of the Spybots, which found some cookies). My dad, who's a whiz at computers, doesn't think it's anything to worry about, but I'm not so sure; Given all the information, what do you guys think?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Either the most benign or the most insidious virus I've ever come across...
This thing sounds like one of the other names that AntiVirus 360 goes by. If that is the case the only realistic option to get rid of it is to backup your files and reinstall your windows.

The virus likes to install itself through out-of-date Java software so when you get it back up and running make sure that all of your software is updated regularly.
RE: Either the most benign or the most insidious virus I've ever come across...
It's been over a week, and there's been no sign of a virus, except for a myStart toolbar that installed itself through Adaware, but after I uninstalled Adaware's toolbar, it's been gone.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to make a "span" across the diagonal of a web-page? FlatAssembler 6 973 May 26, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  New bionic hand "most realistic ever" Cyberman 14 2114 June 19, 2015 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  malware or virus (or both) paulpablo 23 3413 June 14, 2015 at 4:23 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Come on, baby, see the future with me: SixthSense Ryantology 9 4332 March 22, 2013 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Best anti-virus/firewall Darwinian 13 3308 November 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Koldaramor