Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Umm... Hi there!
Umm... Hi there!
Hello everyone!

After stalking the debate threads for about almost a week, I decided to sign up (you can blame Adrian for this) and start posting... So here I am, signed up, but still trying to post.

I'm an 18 year old girl, I am of mixed race - my dad is Norwegian, while my mother is half Thai/Chinese. I was born in Thailand, and when I was 7 I moved to the US. Spent 4 years there before moving to Norway in 2002. And I'm still stuck here, haha. Cool Shades

I was raised a Buddhist, but I am now an atheist. I was even actually a Christian for several years - I went to church and even prayed every night before bed (makes me feel uncomfortable when I think about the fact that I believed I would be punished harder for ever curse word I said)... You can thank forced Sunday school for that (HELLO ALABAMA!).

It's kind of funny actually, that even though I believed in God, and all of that, I never doubted, for a moment, that the Earth was younger than a 100 000 years. This is probably because I knew of dinosaurs before I knew of the Christian faith/God. Funny isn't it? The way a child's mind can be influenced and even manipulated to believe such things.

I have always had an interest in religion and science. I take a course in "Advanced Biology", here in Norway, and when it came to analyzing how well some creatures/plants had adapted to their environments, it actually made me consider the thought of a creator, even though I knew of natural selection and fully believe in evolution...

I then watched a documentary with Richard Dawkins, and it .... inspired me. It showed me how beautiful the mechanism of natural selection really is. It blew my mind. I then started to read more about him, saw videos on Youtube... Started watching videos of Hitchens, Dan Dennet, Sam Harris... And here I am.

I have to say though, this is sort of bittersweet. Before, I could say that I fully respected everyone's views, and their beliefs. Now... I find it hard to respect someone who believes women are inferior to men, or that homosexuality is a sin and that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry/adopt - comments like this actually come from my classmates , people who I have known for years... They demand I listen to their preachings, yet when it is my turn, they do not hesitate to throw insults and play the "Talk to the hand" card. I find it hard to respect people like this.

Whoa, long post. So I'll shut up and end it here with;

Hi everyone. I'm Linda. And I'm an atheist. Smile
RE: Umm... Hi there!
Welcome Linda.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay. I just got back from Thailand. Nice country, very friendly people.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Welcome to the forum Linda, nice to see a fellow scandinavian on the forum!
Welcome to the forumSmile
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
Welcome to the forums Big Grin You'll enjoy it here Tongue
(April 21, 2009 at 6:35 am)Tanutra Wrote: I find it hard to respect someone who believes women are inferior to men, or that homosexuality is a sin and that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry/adopt

Ditto

Welcome Linda Smile
Welcome Linda! Hope you like it here and that if it isn't already at its peak; I hope your appreciation for the natural world continues to grow and flourish.
Welcome! You're almost the youngest girl on this forum! lol I'm pretty sure I am. I'll be 18 in a few weeks.

So now I'm not the only young female on here lol.

You were raised Buddhist? I can't wait to hear your opinions Smile
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
Buddhism, isn't that sometimes conicered to be a philosophy more then a religion?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey there, hi there, ho there NaughtyButNice 19 3095 February 14, 2016 at 4:56 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello!!! I am glad to see there is an awesome atheist community out there! The Reason Tribune 2 1828 August 31, 2012 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused