Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 3:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
christian looking to understand athiests
RE: christian looking to understand athiests
(August 18, 2015 at 10:44 am)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 10:30 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Welcome OP.

You should start a thread so that we can discuss a topic of your choosing outside of the introductions forum.

This is his first thread but it seems to be in the "atheism" subform.  Am I reading that wrong?

You're correct. This is not in the Introductions forum.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
(August 18, 2015 at 2:25 am)msid Wrote: hello,  i am a born again christian who is looking to understand and discuss your reasons for being an athiest. i am NOT here to argue or change your mind.

There is no evidence that your god...or any other gods invented by the human imagination...exist.
msid -

what this talk of subforms means is that you have posted this thread in a subform where we are not required to be nice. There is a subform where you could introduce yourself and everyone would have to dial back their sarcasm and so forth. Feel free to start the party over there if you like.

http://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html
Curious.

What type of things have you or others prayed for that have come true? Are they ordinary every day things or big I can't believe it actually happened things? Do you think that your/others prayers might be self fulfilling, things that will happen more than likely with or without prayer?

Example: Every day I hope (pray?) that the mail is delivered. This comes true on 6 out of 7 days of the week.
Example: I hope (pray?) that my wife makes it home from the Stones concert safely. It happened.
Example: I hope (pray?) that my dog passes this level of sheep herding trial/certification. I happened eventually.

If you'd like me and others to take stock in the prayers coming true motivation for belief I'll need a lot more details.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
(August 18, 2015 at 10:54 am)Whateverist the White Wrote: msid -

what this talk of subforms means is that you have posted this thread in a subform where we are not required to be nice.  There is a subform where you could introduce yourself and everyone would have to dial back their sarcasm and so forth.  Feel free to start the party over there if you like.  

http://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html
 am i required to only be in the introductions forum because im fine here
(August 18, 2015 at 9:51 am)msid Wrote: i see that most of you believe what you do because of lack of evidence that there is a God. Personally i am a christian because of all the evidence ive seen and the ways ive seen him answer prayers. ive had people come up to me and pray for problems that i was having that i hadnt told anyone. ive had many prayers awnsered in ways that could only be explained by God. I also completely understand everyone heres point of view

Great. Why not show us a bit of this evidence? Maybe you'll come up with something we've not seen before.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 18, 2015 at 9:51 am)msid Wrote: i see that most of you believe what you do because of lack of evidence that there is a God.  Personally i am a christian because of all the evidence ive seen and the ways ive seen him answer prayers.  ive had people come up to me and pray for problems that i was having that i hadnt told anyone.  ive had many prayers awnsered in ways that could only be explained by God.  I also completely understand everyone heres point of view

And then we hear stories about children dying of treatable illnesses because their parents believed in prayer over medicine. Prayer is not consistent enough to be considered good evidence. One person's evidence is not the same as another, but if there was any concrete evidence for any god, we wouldn't be debating his existence thousands of years after people started writing about him.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'm happy to see you undstand our point of view Smile That's more than I get out of most visiting theists.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome new Christian Smile
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(August 18, 2015 at 10:28 am)msid Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 10:23 am)robvalue Wrote: If God answers prayers, does that mean his initial plans for everyone were suboptimal and he needed advice?

no because God created us with a free will and unless we ask him he cant change things that happen in our lives or our choices

What is free will?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 2088 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 24558 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4941 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  The "Hang On You Don't Understand The Scriptures' Excuse JackRussell 27 7732 July 11, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Athiests are bitter? Soldat Du Christ 60 13241 April 14, 2017 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I don't understand it: Why am I not confietable with the label "Atheist" ReptilianPeon 15 4291 April 28, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8129 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13522 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  JW looking for clarity Won2blv 44 7976 April 19, 2015 at 8:08 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion GriffinHunter 216 36090 March 26, 2015 at 6:03 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01