Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 9:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
RE: Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
(October 29, 2015 at 1:45 am)AtlasS33 Wrote:
(October 28, 2015 at 8:48 am)Irrational Wrote: So what's that real Injeel book you're talking about then?

The real teachings of Jesus peace be upon him; taken directly from his mouth. What God told him.
Not what a scholar wrote about what he thought he heard.

No evidence of that at all, though. You can't just make stuff up and then assert it as truth.
(October 28, 2015 at 12:51 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(October 7, 2015 at 7:52 am)Ben Davis Wrote: On top of the issue of 'errancy' in the bible, your position ignores the fact that many of those groups, based on different interpretations, have a history of violence towards others, using the interpretations as a pretext for that violence. These are not petty or trivial matters of distinction; people have died over them. These are not 'unified' groups, these are independently functioning cells of differing belief, not to be glossed over in an apologetic.

Actually I agree with you, although that may have been a Freudian slip on your part.

Not Freudian, I don't believe that the deities exist: all theocratic or theological actions are a pretext.
Sum ergo sum
(October 29, 2015 at 2:30 am)Irrational Wrote:
(October 29, 2015 at 1:45 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: The real teachings of Jesus peace be upon him; taken directly from his mouth. What God told him.
Not what a scholar wrote about what he thought he heard.

No evidence of that at all, though. You can't just make stuff up and then assert it as truth.

That is exactly the cases with anything you hear. Either religious talk or normal talk. The only way to be certain is to validate what you hear against something. You can never trust "tales" to be true.
(October 29, 2015 at 9:12 am)AtlasS33 Wrote:
(October 29, 2015 at 2:30 am)Irrational Wrote: No evidence of that at all, though. You can't just make stuff up and then assert it as truth.

That is exactly the cases with anything you hear. Either religious talk or normal talk. The only way to be certain is to validate what you hear against something. You can never trust "tales" to be true.

Exactly. That's why you should go with the evidence, or if you're not qualified to do that, then either remain agnostic or go with what the experts in the field say.
(October 29, 2015 at 10:05 am)Irrational Wrote:
(October 29, 2015 at 9:12 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: That is exactly the cases with anything you hear. Either religious talk or normal talk. The only way to be certain is to validate what you hear against something. You can never trust "tales" to be true.

Exactly. That's why you should go with the evidence, or if you're not qualified to do that, then either remain agnostic or go with what the experts in the field say.

Not when a verse in the Quran turns my life upside down, and I validated the book against life to find it does actually stand & live up to what it says.
I went with evidence all the way.
So do christians and hindus...I guess all of these faith traditions are simultaneously right while making mutually exclusive claims.  lol.  

Atlas, if you have evidence that your faith is true...present it.  Make that thread, make that case.  That's step 1.  Claiming to possess evidence, and claiming to have validated your religion by it, is skipping that all important step 1, it's also pretty douchey.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 29, 2015 at 10:23 am)AtlasS33 Wrote:
(October 29, 2015 at 10:05 am)Irrational Wrote: Exactly. That's why you should go with the evidence, or if you're not qualified to do that, then either remain agnostic or go with what the experts in the field say.

Not when a verse in the Quran turns my life upside down, and I validated the book against life to find it does actually stand & live up to what it says.
I went with evidence all the way.

My curiosity is piqued, what was the life changing verse?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
(October 29, 2015 at 10:26 am)Rhythm & TubbyTubby Wrote: So do christians and hindus...I guess all of these faith traditions are simultaneously right while making mutually exclusive claims.  lol.  

Atlas, if you have evidence that your faith is true...present it.  Make that thread, make that case.  That's step 1.  Claiming to possess evidence, and claiming to have validated your religion by it, is skipping that all important step 1, it's also pretty douchey.

It's a dream I had that came true.
The sura is Sura 12. It's not the same dream of Joseph, but the dream came true.

Insane ? maybe. But the dream came true.
It's not insane, but you have concluded that because an event followed a similar dream, that they are in some way connected, rather than it being a coincidence.

How many dreams have you had that didn't come true?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Make a challenge.

Challenge is answered.

Shit.

Change the challenge.

Act like the biggest twat that's ever lived while staying consistently dishonest.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Good show, make sure you put the dryer on it's delicate setting.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 3227 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7228 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1447 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3946 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7762 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15840 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6729 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 3067 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6245 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  why there are homosexuals lions? truth search 24 3723 December 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus