Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 6:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on objective morality
RE: My views on objective morality
(March 6, 2016 at 1:02 pm)Kiekeben Wrote: Obviously. Why, then, is it okay for God to allow the murderer-rapist to carry out his action?

Because God will (eventually and after perhaps a life of suffering) remove this once-child's pain and suffering and find a place for her in heaven?

Oh wait. . . no he won't, because she may have a hard life: substance abuse, attraction to an abusive spouse, possible suicide. . . and those things are likely to put her on a path to sinning, and a subsequent trip to the Big Fiery Basement. Her reward for being the target of God's free-will experiment on the pedophile will likely be an eternity in hell.

Why am I not surprised this has received no rebuttal from anyone.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
My views on objective morality
(March 6, 2016 at 12:57 pm)robvalue Wrote: Camus: Thank you Smile I'm very much not a kid person. My wife wasn't either, but she is now kind of fantasising about the idea. I don't think she really wants one, but is just cherry picking the nice parts and displacing the rest.

I have far too many reasons not to have my own children, so it would be through adoption if we did do it. (I've had the operation, I decided many years ago I didn't want my own children.) Adoption's not out of the question for the future, although right now I'm nowhere near healthy enough to be a dad. My wife is partially my carer as it is. I am improving, though.

My instincts are far more for animals, and our lives revolve around our four "hairy kids"! At the moment it's a dog, two rabbits and a hamster. Our shared love of animals is one of our closest bonds.

It seems to me the people who worry the most about being terrible parents are the ones who are actually great, because they can comprehend the weight of that responsibility to it's fullest extent. It's the idiots who are out there manufacturing offspring like they're sea monkeys who should be stopped from reproducing.

Adoption is so nice because it gives children a second chance. I'm sure you and your wife would make great parents someday if you ever decide to go down that road. If not, furry kids are just as much of a pain in the ass as regular ones, so you wouldn't be missing out in that regard! (My husband and I have four cats. FOUR. FOUR FUCKING CATS. Ask me why, and I couldn't give you a single answer that makes any sense to me now.) [emoji13]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Cats.
Speaking of cats, mine are currently getting into stuff they shouldn't and pissing my life off.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Camus: Thanks very much Smile I tend to agree with your general assessment as well.

That's right, there's so many children already in this world that need a home that I'd rather help one of them than create another one. Same reason I always get my animals from rescue centres.

Four cats? Wow, I bet they have you wrapped round their little claws Big Grin I love cats too (I love all animals), I grew up with them. Our doggy wouldn't tolerate one now though! She can barely tolerate them existing at all.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 6, 2016 at 3:01 am)robvalue Wrote:
(March 5, 2016 at 10:06 pm)bennyboy Wrote: CL, let me talk about the morality of free will.  A rapist has the free will to rape a child.  You console yourself, perhaps, with the knowledge that he will eventually be held account by God for his actions.  But what of the child?  The child, you may say, will be rewarded with an eternity in heaven-- though he/she hasn't done anything particularly worth of reward.

It seems to me that God's version of free will shows a willingness on his part to let innocents suffer in order to give sinners enough rope to hang themselves.  And they do so by their own nature, which was anyway established by God.  It seems to me that if such a God is real, only a bad person would do anything but openly rebel against him.

You shouldn't be preaching the gospel.  You should be burning it.  Because YOU seem to me like a good person.

I've never heard an answer to this. Time and again, "free will" is brought up as a get-out-of-jail-free card for God's negligence. Examples like this are brought up to show the gaping holes in the idea, and then it just drifts off into the sunset after getting no reply, waiting for the process to repeat.

Any christian like to have a stab at this? (Anyone who is interested in defending God to some higher standard than "everything he does is great".)

Having the free will to choose to "follow" God, or not, is one thing. Why do you additionally need the option of raping children? Isn't just ignoring God enough for him? I mean, I ignore God, but I don't need to rape kids or bang nails into kittens in order to make the choice clear. So what is the point of allowing such actions to be possible? If he's so set on objective morality, he could make these things into an actual law, so that we literally can't do them (and wouldn't even think about wanting to do them). Why include this "feature"?

Cue "mysterious ways", which basically means I should ignore anything else the person has said on the subject up to this point, as they admit they have no understanding of God.

Are you asking why God gave us the free will to rape? Having full control over your own body means you have the freedom to use your body to do horrible things, rape included. If we were to magically become paralyzed every time we wanted to do something bad, then we wouldn't really have free will or bodily autonomy.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 7, 2016 at 3:34 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Are you asking why God gave us the free will to rape? Having full control over your own body means you have the freedom to use your body to do horrible things, rape included. If we were to magically become paralyzed every time we wanted to do something bad, then we wouldn't really have free will or bodily autonomy.

Which should have been obvious to an omniscient and omnipotent being right from the get go. Even if I found any reason to believe in god given free will in the first place, god would know about any rape, any murder, millions of years before it has been comitted. The tales never did add up for me and I never even dived into these issues being illogical. For me it was entirely sufficient that (catholic) god doesn't compute with earth's history.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 7, 2016 at 3:34 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 6, 2016 at 3:01 am)robvalue Wrote: I've never heard an answer to this. Time and again, "free will" is brought up as a get-out-of-jail-free card for God's negligence. Examples like this are brought up to show the gaping holes in the idea, and then it just drifts off into the sunset after getting no reply, waiting for the process to repeat.

Any christian like to have a stab at this? (Anyone who is interested in defending God to some higher standard than "everything he does is great".)

Having the free will to choose to "follow" God, or not, is one thing. Why do you additionally need the option of raping children? Isn't just ignoring God enough for him? I mean, I ignore God, but I don't need to rape kids or bang nails into kittens in order to make the choice clear. So what is the point of allowing such actions to be possible? If he's so set on objective morality, he could make these things into an actual law, so that we literally can't do them (and wouldn't even think about wanting to do them). Why include this "feature"?

Cue "mysterious ways", which basically means I should ignore anything else the person has said on the subject up to this point, as they admit they have no understanding of God.

Are you asking why God gave us the free will to rape? Having full control over your own body means you have the freedom to use your body to do horrible things, rape included. If we were to magically become paralyzed every time we wanted to do something bad, then we wouldn't really have free will or bodily autonomy.

God didn't give us the free will to flap our arms and fly, presumably because he wanted to prevent us from doing so. We thus do not really have free will or bodily autonomy.
(March 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm)abaris Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 3:34 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Are you asking why God gave us the free will to rape? Having full control over your own body means you have the freedom to use your body to do horrible things, rape included. If we were to magically become paralyzed every time we wanted to do something bad, then we wouldn't really have free will or bodily autonomy.

Which should have been obvious to an omniscient and omnipotent being right from the get go. Even if I found any reason to believe in god given free will in the first place, god would know about any rape, any murder, millions of years before it has been comitted. The tales never did add up for me and I never even dived into these issues being illogical. For me it was entirely sufficient that (catholic) god doesn't compute with earth's history.

That is true that we believe God is all knowing. Which is why part of our faith includes the belief that in the end, everything will be made right, despite whatever temporary pain we have to go through.

In the meantime though, part of being human means we have the ability to choose good from evil, and we have the ability to act on either of those. Even though many of us will choose to do horrible things at times, God looked at humanity and still called it good. The good out weighs the bad, and in the end, everything will be made right. We don't know how or when because mere humans can't fully understand God, and can't see the whole universe - past, present, and future, but our beliefs are that God is goodness and love.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 7, 2016 at 3:51 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:  In the meantime though, part of being human means we have the ability to choose good from evil, and we have the ability to act on either of those. Even though many of us will choose to do horrible things at times, God looked at humanity and still called it good. The good out weighs the bad, and in the end, everything will be made right. We don't know how or when because mere humans can't fully understand God, and can't see the whole universe - past, present, and future, but our beliefs are that God is goodness and love.

Which is why I always keep urging to dive into recent primate and dog research. It should be humbling to everyone considering humanity the superior species and it's humbling to me, who doesn't hold that believe.

But, alas, noone ever seems to do that.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2368 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3542 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11397 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 41953 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1427 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 6056 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8638 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3720 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14397 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4626 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm