Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2024, 12:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humans evolved from monkeys
RE: Humans evolved from monkeys
(March 8, 2016 at 8:47 pm)Old Baby Wrote:
(March 8, 2016 at 8:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Then invite him to go fuck himself.  You don't owe an idiot anything.

Problem solved.

(You might try asking him for some such "journal" which says we did evolve from monkeys.)

Just trying to learn how I can back up my arguments.  Learning opportunity for me.

I suppose it's arguable that we all evolved from an extremely simple, and not yet identified proto-virus which existed ~4 bya.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(March 8, 2016 at 11:30 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(March 8, 2016 at 8:47 pm)Old Baby Wrote: Just trying to learn how I can back up my arguments.  Learning opportunity for me.

I suppose it's arguable that we all evolved from an extremely simple, if not yet identified proto-virus which existed ~4 bya.

If we evolved from a proto-virus why is there still a Trump?

check mate, atheists.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(March 8, 2016 at 11:31 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(March 8, 2016 at 11:30 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: I suppose it's arguable that we all evolved from an extremely simple, if not yet identified proto-virus which existed ~4 bya.

check mate, atheists.

In the beginning, Trump created Manhattan and the sewers.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(March 8, 2016 at 11:31 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(March 8, 2016 at 11:30 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: I suppose it's arguable that we all evolved from an extremely simple, if not yet identified proto-virus which existed ~4 bya.

check mate, atheists.

[Image: 0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Old Baby Wrote:
(March 8, 2016 at 8:35 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I think defining your terms might be helpful.

The term "monkey" is not synonymous with the word "ape."

Chimpanzees, Gorillas, Gibbons, and Bonobos are not monkeys. They are apes. So are humans.

All monkeys and apes are primates, however. Somewhere along the line, we all share a primate ancestor.

So your twitter friend is indeed incorrect. We evolved from an early primate ancestor, not a monkey. The monkeys are like cousins to our close Hominoidae Family.

But his point specifically is that we did evolve from monkeys.  The word "monkey" is very important because he's a theist schooling atheists who he says don't actually know anything about evolution.  I've found many sites that explain that humans did not evolve from monkeys, but he won't accept any source unless it's a science journal or equivalent.

Bring him here, if he has the 'nads. He'll get edumacated faster then he can say, Praise the Lord and pass the collection plate!"

Tell him that we evolved from fish.

The whole idea of evolving from monkeys is false in itself because it suggests that this was the starting point as well as making people think of modern day monkeys rather than a common primate ancestor. So telling him that humans, monkeys, apes and everything else also evolved from fish will put the whole process into a larger prospective.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13278255

Basically don't let him dictate the argument. He's arguing about a definition, i.e. of monkey. What's important is an understanding about how evolution works.
(March 8, 2016 at 8:49 pm)Old Baby Wrote: His source is a "college source" thus undefeatable apparently.

That would be an argument by appeal to (anonymous) authority.  The truth of the statement is thus irrelevant as the form of the argument is invalid.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I am Micky Dolenz's love child. Does that help?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
What's the point that this guy is trying to make? Sounds like he is deliberately teaching students about evolution in a way that makes it sounds less plausible by relying on equivocation. Which is intellectually dishonest.
(March 9, 2016 at 10:11 am)Mathilda Wrote: What's the point that this guy is trying to make? Sounds like he is deliberately teaching students about evolution in a way that makes it sounds less plausible by relying on equivocation. Which is intellectually dishonest.

No, he's a Christian who believes in evolution.  He just likes trying to school atheists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More domestication of humans. Jehanne 5 1056 November 9, 2022 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  How humans & cats see things at night. Jehanne 3 754 November 1, 2022 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are other races more evolved than Blacks? Alexmahone 164 21587 March 18, 2022 at 4:22 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 683 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Cloned monkeys: First primate clones are created in lab shadow 2 605 January 25, 2018 at 5:56 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  What part of the world did the first humans assemble? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!! 18 4131 October 18, 2014 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Sexual relationships in animals vs. humans Kayenneh 6 3143 March 29, 2014 at 1:35 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  3 species of Beetle have evolved different walking technique to other beetles. downbeatplumb 0 1462 October 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why humans are so distinct from other species? Meylis Delano Lawrence 65 19872 March 3, 2013 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Cato
  More on Monkeys and Sex. The Grand Nudger 0 935 December 9, 2012 at 11:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger