Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 9:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nudity, Is It Sexist In This Forum?
RE: Nudity, Is It Sexist In This Forum?
We, the Staff, have thought about it Thump, we had a whole Staff thread discussing it.
(July 1, 2016 at 4:24 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: The point is, Thump, just because we have to treat one side unfairly for legal reasons [...]

Stop right there. You are not required by law to treat the two genders differently. If you wish to argue otherwise, please cite the US Code with a link.

You can treat both genders equally. The law does not forbid that in this context.

It would be unfair to ban man nipples because unfair for everyone is more unfair than unfair for half.
(July 1, 2016 at 4:31 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 4:24 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: The point is, Thump, just because we have to treat one side unfairly for legal reasons [...]

Stop right there. You are not required by law to treat the two genders differently. If you wish to argue otherwise, please cite the US Code with a link.

You can treat both genders equally. The law does not forbid that in this context.

We have to treat one side unfairly because we can't legally allow females to post their boobs. We're not going to stop men posting because that would be twice as unfair. Sameness is not fairness. Unfair for both sides is not more fair than unfair for one side.
(July 1, 2016 at 4:31 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: We, the Staff,  have thought about it Thump, we had a whole Staff thread discussing it.

That's great.

I'm reminded of Petain's quip in 1940: "It'll take us six months to consider it, and six months to forget about it."

(July 1, 2016 at 4:28 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 4:16 am)Losty Wrote: Your point is making zero sense. I have no idea what you want from me. You're still seeming to be saying that you think the rules should be changed. I know they can but they won't, because they should not be. Unless you have some solid evidence that proves beyond all doubt that you are right. You just have an opinion. I am here trying really hard to have a civil discussion but nothing is good enough. Just use plain words and say what you want.

Well, firstly as I am voicing my opinion, asking for evidence is a bit of a non sequitur -- opinions don't require evidence.

I've done my best to argue my opinion. If y'all don't agree, no big deal. Neither of us can prove our own opinions "right", because that is not in the nature of opinions. That sort of judgement is assessed against facts, not opinions.

As for what I want, I want you guys on the Staff to think about these things. I want you guys to stop looking at the law as a backstop. I want you guys to be better than that.

I'm not upset or angry with you, and I'm sorry if my posting is angering you; that's not my intent. I hope you don't think I've been uncivil.

It's not, Thump. I'm just getting frustrated because I don't care about debating this topic at all. I am seriously only here because I care about you as a member of this forum and a friend. I am trying really hard to show you that I have very seriously considered this subject. I have thought about it. I have thought about everything you have said. I have genuinely considered all arguments contrary to mine. And while I still do not agree I respect you for having a different opinion than me. I'm only upset because I seriously do not understand what more you want from me than this.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(July 1, 2016 at 4:33 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 4:31 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Stop right there. You are not required by law to treat the two genders differently. If you wish to argue otherwise, please cite the US Code with a link.

We have to treat one side unfairly because we can't legally allow females to post their boobs. We're not going to stop men posting because that would be twice as unfair. Sameness is not fairness. Unfair for both sides is not more fair than unfair for one side.

How is asking all people to abide the same code of conduct unfair?

Because fairness is not about sameness.

Equal mistreatment and limitation =/= fairness.
(July 1, 2016 at 4:28 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: As for what I want, I want you guys on the Staff to think about these things. I want you guys to stop looking at the law as a backstop. I want you guys to be better than that.

I'm not upset or angry with you, and I'm sorry if my posting is angering you; that's not my intent. I hope you don't think I've been uncivil.

We have thought about it, though. We do not agree with the idea that discriminating equally is anything remotely resembling equality.

How could we be 'better than that'? What action could we take that would make us so?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 1, 2016 at 4:28 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 4:17 am)Losty Wrote: We defend the rule based on the law because sexist or not, we are still bound by the law. O_o

But are you limited by it?

Absolutely not. We are perfectly capable of making rules beyond the law. We did that today, in fact. We made a rule about pedophilia that states that any jokes involving pedophilia are banned from the entire forum. These jokes are not illegal they're simply harmful to what this forum stands for.

You think we are saying we are limited by the law but we are not. We choose not to make a rule change in this specific case because we do not believe that a rule change is necessary or even a good idea.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Peanut Gallery Commentary-and the drama over the nudity thread continues pocaracas 283 33959 July 11, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy