Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 4:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Expressions
Religious Expressions
I recently had a theist friend (yes, a 'friend' friend) question my use of religious expressions. He seems to feel that my use of religiously-based language indicates that - on some level - I harbour a belief in god, if only a residual one. I tried to explain that it happens to be a cultural habit, not a religious one. Pretty much on a par with using money with picture of the queen on it doesn't make me a monarchist.

Here are some of the expressions I find myself using:

'Jaysus wept / Suffering jaysus': Indicates frustration, usually (but not always) with another person.

'God-curst': Very bad person, place or thing.

'Since Christ was a corporal': A good or bad thing that rarely happens; a very long time.

'The Devil must be beating his wife': Used to describe two seemingly contradictory things that happen at the same time (e.g. rain on a sunny day).

'Jaysus, Mary and holy Saint Joseph': exclamation of great surprise.

Anyone have some others they'd like to share?

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
RE: Religious Expressions
Sure --

Bleeding Christ, Fucking Christ, and Jesus Christ and General Jackson, Jesus Joseph and Mary -- all simple exclamations. Jumpin' Jehosephat, too.

Goddamnit (said as one word)

God-forsaken (out in the middle of nowhere; desolate).

Good lord!

Nailed to the cross -- got an ass-chewing, punished severely.

Climb down off'n your cross -- said to someone seeking undeserved sympathy.

There's more, they're skipping my head right now.

GODFUCKINGDAMNIT     ( usually uttered when I have done something to injure myself.)
JESUS CHRIST ON A MOTHERFUCKING MOTORBIKE.

Shouted for fun during mutual enthusiastic moments of silliness with a family member.
Lord, have mercy.

Lord, lord, lord.

Good Lord...

Oh, my God

Mon Dieu!

Jesus Christ on a f*ckin' cracker

Goddamnit

I'll be mindful of the last two when I'm speaking to believers, provided they aren't assholes; or if I don't know them well enough to tell if they're assholes or not.
Jesus Pole-vaulting Christ! (incredulity)
God Bless it! (reverse-curse word said through clenched teeth)

Those pretty much get me through my days. Wink
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Jesus Fucking Christ !!

What would your vorlon be without religious imagery ??

Why, I might have to fuck Jesus's nail holes using shit for lube for REAL !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 11, 2016 at 9:08 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: God-forsaken (out in the middle of nowhere; desolate).

A pretty good description of Isreal... usually followed by "sh!thole" if referring to Jerusalem.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
By Grabthar's Hammer, By the Son's of warvan, You shall be avenged!!

(Something you say to a dying friend as the choke on their last breath, in order to give them comfort and to know their death is not in vain.)
Jesus titty fucking Christ is a personal favorite.

Jesus Christ on a Popsicle stick. Pogo stick works too.