Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 6:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Quote For Atheist to consider :
RE: A Quote For Atheist to consider :
Quote:Christians are called to a very high standard of service to all people.

Uh-huh.

Quote:(CNN) - Accusations and revelations of sex abuse by Roman Catholic priests have been hitting American cities for a solid decade.

The now-global scandal broke in a big way in 2002 in Boston and has ensnared dioceses from Los Angeles to Kansas City to Memphis, along with many others.

But Philadelphia, where Archbishop Justin Rigali stepped down Tuesday - five months after the scandal struck his city – is different.

Pope accepts resignation of Philadelphia archbishop amid sex scandal

The scandal there could open a historic chapter in the abuse crisis, church watchers say, changing the way the American criminal justice system deals with church abuse and challenging the church’s claims that that reforms adopted in the wake of the Boston scandal have largely rooted out abuse.

“What makes Philadelphia devastating is allegations that priests who were facing credible accusation of sex abuse were still working in parishes as recently as February,” CNN senior Vatican analyst John Allen said. “This is not about misconduct that happened 50 years go. This is about the failures of today.”

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/19...tands-out/
(July 24, 2011 at 9:13 am)edk141 Wrote:
(July 24, 2011 at 8:32 am)Rhythm Wrote: Anyone who wants to use the "goldilocks zone" as an argument for god would have to explain why god created three planets in this zone (just in our solar system), and then never saw fit to mention it to us (we may also want to know why the others, Mars and Venus are lifeless). There is no fine tuning argument, because there is no fine tuning. The "goldilocks zone" is approx 35 million miles wide for a star such as our own. It may be larger. Other stars have different habitable zones than our own. Why would a creator god require any of this by the way? Could have willed us into existence on a completely uninhabitable planet.

Who's to say there's no other kind of life that can inhabit planets outside the HZ? Everywhere not in the HZ is only uninhabitable to life that requires liquid water. Okay, we haven't seen any life that doesn't, but restricting ourselves to one kind of life seems silly. God could have made us out of completely different stuff and dumped us on Pluto. Hell, he's God, why does he even have to obey the laws of physics? He could make us out of something completely inappropriate like arsenic or lead or mercury, then adjusted chemistry to fit.

The Goldilocks zone argument is indeed a steaming pile of bullshit, I just think you didn't take it far enough. On a scale of one to the Goldilocks zone argument, a standard bullshit statement like "I never tell the truth" or "This statement is false" or "Water is dry" or "God exists" would be zero.

i agree with the first part and as for the second i think you just have anger towards God and don't want there to be a God.
Why are they all so obsessed to prove the existence of god? If you believe in it than keep it to yourself, because there is no way to prove it. It's 2011 you should have a better understanding of the world. If you are so obsessed with having people believing the same god you do, go to church and keep out of the public. That's what they were made for.
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(July 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm)GodIsRealOrNothingMakesSince Wrote: ...i think you just have anger towards God and don't want there to be a God.

This is a silly little statement I have heard many times from Christians. First off, it is impossible to be mad at something you don't believe exists. Second, atheists don't believe there to be a god, as in Yahweh your Christian god, because he has all the shortcomings of a jealous, vengeful, and psychopathic, meth-head which is wholly inconsistent with the concept of a deity. It's not that we don't want to believe in your god, but we can't believe in your god because of all these qualities.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 23, 2011 at 12:47 am)GodIsRealOrNothingMakesSince Wrote:
Atheism: The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.
Makes perfect since.

But god was just there? Makes perfect sense, not since. Please learn proper English.

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
(July 24, 2011 at 3:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Christians are called to a very high standard of service to all people.

Uh-huh.

Quote:(CNN) - Accusations and revelations of sex abuse by Roman Catholic priests have been hitting American cities for a solid decade.

The now-global scandal broke in a big way in 2002 in Boston and has ensnared dioceses from Los Angeles to Kansas City to Memphis, along with many others.

But Philadelphia, where Archbishop Justin Rigali stepped down Tuesday - five months after the scandal struck his city – is different.

Pope accepts resignation of Philadelphia archbishop amid sex scandal

The scandal there could open a historic chapter in the abuse crisis, church watchers say, changing the way the American criminal justice system deals with church abuse and challenging the church’s claims that that reforms adopted in the wake of the Boston scandal have largely rooted out abuse.

“What makes Philadelphia devastating is allegations that priests who were facing credible accusation of sex abuse were still working in parishes as recently as February,” CNN senior Vatican analyst John Allen said. “This is not about misconduct that happened 50 years go. This is about the failures of today.”

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/19...tands-out/

Wikipedia- Joseph Stalin- Stalin followed the position adopted by Lenin that religion was an opiate that needed to be removed in order to construct the ideal communist society. To this end, his government promoted atheism through special atheistic education in schools, massive amounts of anti-religious propaganda, the antireligious work of public institutions (especially the Society of the Godless), discriminatory laws, and also a terror campaign against religious believers. By the late 1930s it had become dangerous to be publicly associated with religion.

Researchers before the 1991 dissolution of the Soviet Union attempting to count the number of people killed under Stalin's regime produced estimates ranging from 3 to 60 million.[88] After the Soviet Union dissolved, evidence from the Soviet archives also became available, containing official records of the execution of approximately 800,000 prisoners under Stalin for either political or criminal offenses, around 1.7 million deaths in the Gulags and some 390,000 deaths during kulak forced resettlement – for a total of about 3 million officially recorded victims in these categories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_stalin

Oh come on. Don't give me that crap. Both sides are guilty because there are always people who will pervert the belief (or for atheism non- belief) of something and use it for their own self gain because a simple fact of life is there are some messed up people in the world. Don't start that crap because there is just as much stuff like the above for atheist as there are Christians.
Lol the whole "quote" is just undeniably fucking stupid.
(July 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote:
(July 23, 2011 at 12:47 am)GodIsRealOrNothingMakesSince Wrote:
Atheism: The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.
Makes perfect since.

But god was just there? Makes perfect sense, not since. Please learn proper English.

Fixed it.
I said that God existing was infinitely less bullshit than one of the more bullshit common Christian arguments. Thanks for agreeing with the first part, you've proved that your argument is stupid and that you're an idiot. From the amount of idiocy oozing from your every orifice, I'm guessing you're a troll, so I'll report you once I've posted this.

Also, "you just have anger towards God and don't want there to be a God." - Fuck right off. This is a pretty common argument, and one of the most stupid I have ever heard. It's a bit like when people say "You're in denial!" WELL OF COURSE I'M IN FUCKING DENIAL, THAT'S BECAUSE THE THING I'M DENYING IS UTTER BULLSHIT.

I hate you.
There is no way you can convert a well educated atheist individual who has common sense, something people lack these days. Every argument you make will NEVER convert an atheist of those standards. Taking a simple quote and applying it to an argument trying to tell us that GOD somehow made the world and all atheists are wrong. I don't see how people honestly believe that, it's ignorant to deny understanding the world and filling in the gaps with GOD. Every single proof of god has nothing to back it up other than an irrational argument, it starts out with something that we have yet to discover than you go onto saying "That proves god is real" but still no evidence to support your claim. Religion causes more problems than anything else in the world, thank you for contributing to the problem Smile.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 90390 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hitler Quote Shining_Finger 23 5642 January 1, 2016 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why do so many of you quote the bible and do nothing what says in it Phish 52 19898 March 12, 2013 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  What's the funniest or most ridiculous bible quote you have ever heard or read? icantstandfundies 30 13904 May 20, 2012 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Love this quote, enjoy if you like a bit of dawkins Captain Scarlet 3 3004 August 18, 2010 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused