Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 6:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kavanaugh Can Join Thomas.
RE: Kavanaugh Can Join Thomas.
(September 21, 2018 at 10:36 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Smyth's statement that he has no knowledge of the party is not saying that the party didn't occur.  That doesn't follow.

Yes, it follows 100%. You can choose not to believe him if you want, but his statement directly contradicts Ford's claim.
https://local.theonion.com/applicant-who...1829225300

“What we look for in an applicant is evidence that he’s able to successfully intimidate his victim into silence, convince everyone that his victim is lying, or use his connections and family influence to get the whole episode swept under the rug. This is an elite school whose distinguished alums include President Bill Clinton, President George H.W. Bush, and Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas, and we cannot in good conscience accept an applicant such as this young man who perpetrates sexual abuse and is unable to weasel his way out of any and all repercussions.” The Onion.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 22, 2018 at 7:29 am)alpha male Wrote:
(September 21, 2018 at 10:36 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Smyth's statement that he has no knowledge of the party is not saying that the party didn't occur.  That doesn't follow.

Yes, it follows 100%. You can choose not to believe him if you want, but his statement directly contradicts Ford's claim.

If he's innocent, what does he have to fear from a FBI lie detector test?  After all, he authorized CIA torture??!
(September 22, 2018 at 7:52 am)Jehanne Wrote: If he's innocent, what does he have to fear from a FBI lie detector test? 

They generate a lot of false positives:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/...ctors-work

Quote:Interestingly, the polygraph is quite good at identifying liars but does no better than chance at detecting honest people according to Lykken. In other words, there is a 50:50 chance that a polygraph test will say an honest person is lying (a 50 percent “false positive” rate).
(September 22, 2018 at 8:55 am)alpha male Wrote:
(September 22, 2018 at 7:52 am)Jehanne Wrote: If he's innocent, what does he have to fear from a FBI lie detector test? 

Quote:Interestingly, the polygraph is quite good at identifying liars but does no better than chance at detecting honest people according to Lykken. In other words, there is a 50:50 chance that a polygraph test will say an honest person is lying (a 50 percent “false positive” rate).

They detect autonomic changes in the body which tend to indicate anxiety, and then those results need to be interpreted. And if they do a lie detector test (which if the do, the accuser should do one also) I have the feeling that those against kavenaugh will just move the goal posts again.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(September 22, 2018 at 8:55 am)alpha male Wrote:

Of course, Dr. Ford passed one.
Yep, it's not like Jehanne would accept it if he passed a lie detector.
(September 22, 2018 at 9:30 am)alpha male Wrote: Yep, it's not like Jehanne would accept it if he passed a lie detector.

Then, answer my question -- If he admitted to Ford's accusations, would you continue to support him as a SCOTUS nominee?
(September 22, 2018 at 9:33 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(September 22, 2018 at 9:30 am)alpha male Wrote: Yep, it's not like Jehanne would accept it if he passed a lie detector.

Then, answer my question -- If he admitted to Ford's accusations, would you continue to support him as a SCOTUS nominee?

No.
(September 22, 2018 at 9:30 am)alpha male Wrote: Yep, it's not like Jehanne would accept it if he passed a lie detector.

I don’t think that a lie detector is a normal part of these types of proceedings. Hence why it is not being asked for. It’s not some big conspiracy. With that, if it’s so necessary that Kavenaugh take a lie detector test, the Dr Ford should also, under the control of the investigation.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Can you sew? Can you save a life? Gawdzilla Sama 30 2875 April 5, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Canadian Army To Join UN Peacekeeping Operation In Mali Amarok 14 1538 March 20, 2018 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Join the NRA! Gawdzilla Sama 20 4922 October 7, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I Should Join AARP - I Certainly Qualify! Minimalist 4 1352 June 16, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Sinn Fein staffer with IRA links to join Jeremy Corbyn's team account_inactive 9 2775 December 15, 2016 at 10:29 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Americans who join ISIS. Anomalocaris 2 1407 September 11, 2014 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist