Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 1:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Literal and Not Literal
RE: Literal and Not Literal
(August 30, 2019 at 12:07 am)EgoDeath Wrote: What do you propose the word holy means, if not divine?

If I type "define holy" into Google, I get this:

Quote:holy
/ˈhəʊli/

1. 1. 
    dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred.
    "the Holy Bible"
    synonyms:
    sacredconsecratedhallowed, sanctified, venerated, revered, reverenced, divinereligiousblessedblestdedicated
    "it is forbidden to say the name of this holy place aloud"

That seems fine to me. For clarity's sake, I'd add "dedicated or consecrated to God BY PEOPLE." This is something people decide, whether there really is a God or not. 

Quote:You're known on AF for waxing poetic; making excessively wordy posts without really saying much (all the while making particularly apologetic posts concerning Christianity, one wonders if you actually are a Christian), but I'm asking a very simple question here and looking for a very simple answer.

Well, I like poetry a lot. This is just the way I think and write. You judge it "excessive" but it seems normal to me. 

I don't see why everyone should think and write the same way. Variety is good. 

Quote:Who says the Bible "provoke[s] 2000 years of serious commentary?"

I'd be interested to see your argument for how the Bible hasn't provoked 2000 years of commentary.
(August 30, 2019 at 1:36 am)Belaqua Wrote: I'd be interested to see your argument for how the Bible hasn't provoked 2000 years of commentary.

From ~the 4th-17th century anyone who dared to comment on the bible by questioning its veracity would find themselves tied to a post and set alight.

No intelligence allowed.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(August 30, 2019 at 12:07 am)EgoDeath Wrote: It wouldn't be? If there was an ultimate creator that delivered this book to us because it is supposedly very concerned with our Earthly affairs... you don't think that's something you might want to take some lifestyle cues from? ...What?

Because showing us what that life is, is superior to telling us what that life is. Me being a model for what a good life is to my daughter, is far superior to any instructions I give my daughter on what a good life is. If i want to teach my daughters how to love, being a model of that love, is far superior to any instructions I can give her.

If God wanted us to know what a Good life is, I don’t need instructions, I would want him to come down in the form of a man and show me what a Good life is. By that I can see what no words could ever capture.
(August 30, 2019 at 3:01 am)Succubus Wrote: From ~the 4th-17th century anyone who dared to comment on the bible by questioning its veracity would find themselves tied to a post and set alight.

No intelligence allowed.

We've been discussing whether "veracity" always means "literal truth of." Certainly many important figures in the church were comfortable saying that significant parts of the Bible were not literally true. 

As far as I know, execution for heresy was begun in 1215, though I may be wrong. If you have a source pointing to executions between the 4th and the 13th centuries I'd be interested to see it. 

Support for execution of heretics was not universal among Christians. It was one of the things that Martin Luther declared was wrong about the Catholic Church. 

To be clear, I think it was terrible that anyone was executed for heresy ever. But I think the facts don't agree with what you've written here.
(August 30, 2019 at 3:33 am)Belaqua Wrote: ...As far as I know, execution for heresy was begun in 1215, though I may be wrong. If you have a source pointing to executions between the 4th and the 13th centuries I'd be interested to see it.

When Rome was Christianised in the 4th century How many pagans were butchered executed?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(August 30, 2019 at 3:56 am)Succubus Wrote:
(August 30, 2019 at 3:33 am)Belaqua Wrote: ...As far as I know, execution for heresy was begun in 1215, though I may be wrong. If you have a source pointing to executions between the 4th and the 13th centuries I'd be interested to see it.

When Rome was Christianised in the 4th century  How many pagans were butchered executed?

I don't know. How many?
(August 30, 2019 at 4:15 am)Belaqua Wrote:
(August 30, 2019 at 3:56 am)Succubus Wrote: When Rome was Christianised in the 4th century  How many pagans were butchered executed?

I don't know. How many?

Sorry to chime in... but...

In what century where the Celtic christians wiped out?

Me thinks it was a tad earlier than the 12th century....

Not at work.
(August 30, 2019 at 4:26 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote:
(August 30, 2019 at 4:15 am)Belaqua Wrote: I don't know. How many?

Sorry to chime in... but...

In what century where the Celtic christians wiped out?

Me thinks it was a tad earlier than the 12th century....

Not at work.

If everybody wants to start a new thread to talk about Christian violence against non-Christians, that would be fine. 

This thread is not about that.

Unless Succubus is intending to say that Christians were burned at the stake but not literally burned at the stake for questioning the Bible's veracity. Maybe she is trying out some poetic trope?
This whole topic is nothing more than Belaqua's No True Scotsman fallacy.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(August 30, 2019 at 4:41 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: This whole topic is nothing more than Belaqua's No True Scotsman fallacy.

No it isn't. 

I have never said that a True Christian believes one thing or the other, and that if he doesn't he's not a True Christian. 

In fact I've been clear that in my opinion we can't give a definition of what a True Christian is. There are many types, and it's not for me to say which kind is true. 

Others may have leaned close to that fallacy when they say that No True Christian believes in a non-literal Christ, or something like that. But I have never said anything like that.

This whole topic is to talk about literal readings, non-literal readings, and the tropes that go into them. 

If you're looking around for insults, please find one that is vaguely related to what I'm doing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A Literal Bible. Answering questions Green Diogenes 101 9206 May 10, 2022 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Literal belief in the flood story RobbyPants 157 43983 May 22, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Creationist offers $10,000 to anyone willing to challenge literal interpretation of Genesis in court JesusHChrist 46 24428 April 11, 2013 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Garuda