Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 5:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Nihilists here?
RE: Any Nihilists here?
(August 20, 2023 at 9:35 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: If we're referring to positivity as an explanation for suicide then we're describing a meaningful suicide, thus, not a nihilistic one.  A nihilistic suicide has no meaning, is not positive or negative, is not a tragedy or a reprieve.  It just is.  Standing alone as a thing that happened for no meaningful reason, to no meaningful end, and with no definite summary.

There's no hope of an afterlife, that's for sure.
Chronic pain, whether mental or physical, is a good reason to end it all.
Sure, but in the vein of the thread, just because there's no (credible) hope of things that aren't or can't be...doesn't mean that there isn't (credible) hope of things that are or can be. I think it's framing like the above that leads to the mistaken impression that there's any link, let alone some pipeline, between atheism or rationalism and nihilism.

I don't hope for shit that can't happen. That doesn't make me a nihilist. It makes me a realist.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What is more real than voluntary euthanasia?
That's a strange phrase all by itself, isn't it? "More real"? Is any real thing more real than another? Regardless, if anything is real (more, same, less).... then nihilism is, at least at some point, utterly false.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
To Buddhists, the world is an illusion. What is more nihilistic than that? Nudger, I'm agreeing with you.
Buddhism actually asserts a meaning to the world. It's not a nihilistic philosophy. The purpose of life is to break the cycle of suffering and achieve enlightenment.
(August 20, 2023 at 8:41 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Or to live well. People manage to keep drawing breath in moments of utter hopelessness...but the story of that experience tends not to be a positive one.

IDK, reading this thread, I'm not convinced there's a single nihilist in it. Pessimists, sure. Cynics, absolutely. Nihilists? Not so far as I can tell.

Why would you think I am not a nihilist?
I'm certain that, though you call yourself a nihilist...on some point or issue of meaning you'll negotiate.

That doesn't mean, mind you, that nihilism is false, simply that no human being can actually be a nihilist. In that view, it's just one of our many failings that we cannot live as things actually are. What I know, is that I'll actually never need to argue against nihilism in x y or z, as nihilists will always competently (and aggressively) argue those x y's and z's themselves.
What definition of nihilism are you using?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long term Nihilists CapnAwesome 41 8011 April 26, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 179646 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead