Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 19, 2024, 7:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undeniably Here
Undeniably Here
Hello, all. 

After three decades of serving in Christian ministry, I am rejecting the belief system in which the majority of my life and the entirety of my professional career have been rooted. The journey to this point has been strange and slow, but I am undeniably here. I am abandoning things I once held dear; conversely, I am embracing things I once deemed foolish. 

I'll not bore you with the details of my story, but I can summarize it with this: I now recognize that so much of what is presented as evidence for Christianity is little more than the age-old traditions of the church and the emotional convictions of those who hold it to be true. I lie awake at night wondering why I was so slow to learn this. 

I look forward to crossing paths with all of you here in this little corner of cyberspace. Thanks for your time. 

~jamie 
RE: Undeniably Here
Welcome, Jaime! Outstanding intro, btw.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Welcome. Don't waste too much time wondering why you didn't get to this point sooner. You were obviously immersed in faith and surrounded by people of faith.

Hope you like it here.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

(April 4, 2024 at 1:19 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Welcome.  Don't waste too much time wondering why you didn't get to this point sooner.  You were obviously immersed in faith and surrounded by people of faith.  

Hope you like it here.

Thank you. Immersed is an accurate descriptor.

Professionally, I haven't yet extricated myself from the world of faith. I'm preparing my exit strategy, which will need to include a period of time during which I train my replacement. Needless to say, my imposter's syndrome is acute.

~jamie
(April 4, 2024 at 2:12 pm)Jamie Boy Wrote:
(April 4, 2024 at 1:19 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Welcome.  Don't waste too much time wondering why you didn't get to this point sooner.  You were obviously immersed in faith and surrounded by people of faith.  

Hope you like it here.

Thank you. Immersed is an accurate descriptor.

Professionally, I haven't yet extricated myself from the world of faith. I'm preparing my exit strategy, which will need to include a period of time during which I train my replacement. Needless to say, my imposter's syndrome is acute.

~jamie

We all have to make a living.  Ease your way out.

I did a six month contract working in the accounting office of a big, old, rich Baptist church in Dallas a few years back.  Was a great gig but only one person knew I was atheist.  

We do what we have to do to survive.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

Just be careful who you inform about your deconversion. Theists can be backstabbers when sheep leave the fold.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Welcome Woof. Hoot might be more appropriate for your avatar.

Curious about your change. Was there one specific experience that began this new path. Maybe the weight of the entire experience?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 4, 2024 at 2:29 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(April 4, 2024 at 2:12 pm)Jamie Boy Wrote: Thank you. Immersed is an accurate descriptor.

~jamie

We all have to make a living.  Ease your way out.

I did a six month contract working in the accounting office of a big, old, rich Baptist church in Dallas a few years back.  Was a great gig but only one person knew I was atheist.  

We do what we have to do to survive.
Again, thank you. 

I was very close to jumping ship a few months ago, but I'm proceeding a bit more cautiously now. Survival is a reality.
(April 4, 2024 at 2:29 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: Just be careful who you inform about your deconversion. Theists can be backstabbers when sheep leave the fold.

Agreed. Thus far, only the wife and you folks are in the know.