Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 3:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
(June 27, 2024 at 10:19 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: There's a saw that goes by the name fret.

Also a hammer.

[Image: f002514b-4b8d-48ab-a5fc-e4e110ab5c38__36...63.jpg?c=2]

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
That precisification is a word and that “evolutionary psychology is science in the same way that Taco Bell is authentic Mexican food”
There is apparently a copy of the Mona Lisa in the Prado made by one of Leonardo’s students. And, apparently, whatever student painted it seems to have used a varnish that didn’t yellow with age, or, if it did, it’s apparently easier to restore than the original.

[Image: 786px-Gioconda_%28copia_del_Museo_del_Pr...ada%29.jpg]
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I’ve been reading Bill Bryson’s At Home, and it’s a really interesting book with a lot of fascinating factoids. The two most interesting factoids:
1) The origins of corn were are not only mysterious, but so contentious that a conference to settle the matter once and for all in 1969 turned into a shouting match with nothing actually accomplished.
2) Until the 1840s, the Chinese were the only people who knew how to turn tea leaves into a form suitable to turn into tea.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(June 30, 2024 at 12:34 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I’ve been reading Bill Bryson’s At Home, and it’s a really interesting book with a lot of fascinating factoids. The two most interesting factoids:
1) The origins of corn were are not only mysterious, but so contentious that a conference to settle the matter once and for all in 1969 turned into a shouting match with nothing actually accomplished.
2) Until the 1840s, the Chinese were the only people who knew how to turn tea leaves into a form suitable to turn into tea.

Bryson's always a good read. One of my go-to books when I have to argue with waterheads is his 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'.

Boru
(June 30, 2024 at 3:45 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 30, 2024 at 12:34 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I’ve been reading Bill Bryson’s At Home, and it’s a really interesting book with a lot of fascinating factoids. The two most interesting factoids:

Bryson's always a good read. One of my go-to books when I have to argue with waterheads is his 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'.

Boru

Agreed, he is an interesting author with some really good books.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

Vincent Price’s paternal grandfather invented the first cream of tartar-based baking powder, which made the family very, very wealthy.

Boru
(June 29, 2024 at 9:24 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: There is apparently a copy of the Mona Lisa in the Prado made by one of Leonardo’s students. And, apparently, whatever student painted it seems to have used a varnish that didn’t yellow with age, or, if it did, it’s apparently easier to restore than the original.

[Image: 786px-Gioconda_%28copia_del_Museo_del_Pr...ada%29.jpg]

I've seen it.  Way more impressive then the "original", which I've seen, too.

Madrid is an interesting city, but I prefer Barcelona.
Disappointing theists since 1968!
Some bulgogi sauce is spicy and some is not. If you want to make the kind that isn't spicy into the spicy kind, just add gochujang.

I'm lazy though. I went to a store that sells the spicy kind.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Some PV cables are impervious to mechanical wire-strippers.
Disappointing theists since 1968!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How's the weather treating you today? Silver 259 9619 August 20, 2024 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1468 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 3084 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 979 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1458 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1544 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 3734 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 609 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 4456 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 771 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37