Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 18, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The SCOTUS Chronicles
RE: The SCOTUS Chronicles
There needs to be term limits across the board with governmental positions. SCOTUS, congress, lower court judges...all of them, all.of.them.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

And psyche evals.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 21, 2024 at 7:54 pm)Silver Wrote: And psyche evals.

The downfall with that is that a person can be okay until they aren't.  Some mental health issues show up later in life.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

(September 21, 2024 at 5:18 pm)Ravenshire Wrote:
(September 21, 2024 at 2:09 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: https://ballsandstrikes.org/ethics-accou...-the-dark/

Am I alone in the thought that a conspiracy to destroy the current court is not a terrible idea?

I don't think destroying the Court itself would be good. I think it certainly needs more guardrails. Term-limits and an enforceable code of ethics would be a good start. Like the other two branches of gov't, SCOTUS too needs oversight in order to redress the checks and balances envisioned by the Founding Fathers they claim to honor.

The original intent of those founders was that no one arm of gov't should attain unchecked power. The Constitution allows for Congress to regulate the SCOTUS via impeachment. Now, getting that done is a steeper hill to climb. But there's always Jackson's "let them enforce it" comment.

Another option might be to institute a mandatory retirement age for justices. Here, it’s 70.

I don’t know - and can’t be arsed to find out - the ages of your current Supremes, but I’m sure several of them would be replaceable.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(September 21, 2024 at 5:18 pm)Ravenshire Wrote:
(September 21, 2024 at 2:09 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: https://ballsandstrikes.org/ethics-accou...-the-dark/

Am I alone in the thought that a conspiracy to destroy the current court is not a terrible idea?

No. The court is irretrievably tainted.

Sack the lot, impose a term limit no greater than 15 years, and a strict ethics code with teeth and independent oversight. It'll never happen, of course.
Quote:Public trust in the Supreme Court is at a record low, with more than half of Americans disapproving of the nation’s highest court since its decision to overturn Roe v. Wade in 2022, a new survey by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania showed.

The survey, conducted from July 12 to August 12, found that 56 percent of Americans disapprove somewhat of the court, saying they either trust it “a little” or “not at all.”

According to the survey, earlier data showed that trust in the highest court sharply decreased after the reversal of Roe v. Wade, from 68 percent in 2019 to 46 percent in 2022.

As of August, overall support for it sits at 44 percent, which is 1 percentage point down from May, according to the data. Eight percent expressed “a great deal” of trust, 11 percent said they had “a lot” of trust, and 25 percent had “a moderate amount” of trust that the court would act in the best interest of people like them.

The survey also found that an increasing number of Americans are saying that they have no trust in the court. In August, 34 percent said “not at all” when asked if they trust the court will act in the best interest of people like them, which is up from the 30 percent who said the same a few months earlier in May.

https://thehill.com/homenews/4912208-tru.../?tbref=hp

They care I'm sure.
(September 21, 2024 at 8:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Another option might be to institute a mandatory retirement age for justices. Here, it’s 70.

I don’t know - and can’t be arsed to find out - the ages of your current Supremes, but I’m sure several of them would be replaceable.

Boru

Only three of them (Alito, Thomas, and Sotomayor) and one of them was an Obama appointee. Though Roberts will be hitting that milestone in a few months.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(September 21, 2024 at 8:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Another option might be to institute a mandatory retirement age for justices. Here, it’s 70.

Boru

If it was 75, that would knock out Clarence Thomas, with a couple more soon to follow.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brett Kavanaugh, the new SCOTUS liberal? Jehanne 6 2220 December 14, 2018 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Maybe Kavanaugh will be the next liberal SCOTUS judge?? Jehanne 10 1583 October 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  SCOTUS Invites Republicunts To Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 11 2463 February 6, 2018 at 8:42 pm
  Trump summons final two SCOTUS nominees Cecelia 23 3987 February 3, 2017 at 1:22 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  SCOTUS and civics. Brian37 21 2688 June 24, 2016 at 11:28 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Trump's SCOTUS Picks AFTT47 29 2647 May 19, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  SCOTUS Tells Arizona and Kansas to Go Fuck Themselves. Minimalist 6 2039 June 29, 2015 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  SCOTUS to hear same sex marriage case popeyespappy 16 5038 December 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm