Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 12:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Jupiter!!
To Jupiter!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17917102

Quote:The European Space Agency (Esa) is to mount a billion-euro mission to Jupiter and its icy moons.

The probe, called Juice, has just been approved at a meeting of member state delegations in Paris.

It would be built in time for a launch in 2022, although it would be a further eight years before it reached the Jovian system.
Cunt
RE: To Jupiter!!
(May 2, 2012 at 11:36 am)frankiej Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17917102

Quote:The European Space Agency (Esa) is to mount a billion-euro mission to Jupiter and its icy moons.

The probe, called Juice, has just been approved at a meeting of member state delegations in Paris.

It would be built in time for a launch in 2022, although it would be a further eight years before it reached the Jovian system.

Great news, I wonder what the theists will say if life is found under the ice on Europa. (maybe they will find an alien breed of talking snake!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Great! I'll be 39 when it finally lands. That is a lot of money being put into this mission, but it is for scientific research, which I support 100%.
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
Awesome!
(May 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Great news, I wonder what the theists will say if life is found under the ice on Europa. (maybe they will find an alien breed of talking snake!)

I've heard quite a few times people say there may be life under the ice. I'm skeptical though, seems very unlikely to me that life would thrive in an environment effectively cut off from the sun.
(May 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm)Napoleon Wrote:
(May 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Great news, I wonder what the theists will say if life is found under the ice on Europa. (maybe they will find an alien breed of talking snake!)

I've heard quite a few times people say there may be life under the ice. I'm skeptical though, seems very unlikely to me that life would thrive in an environment effectively cut off from the sun.

Yes, it is a long way from the sun, but it is close to Jupiter. The gravitational "squeezing" from the giant planet will produce heat in the moons. Any life there will probably not rely on light/photosynthysis for it's energy, but could use the heat (as do some extremophyles around volcanic vents in the deep ocean here on Earth)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I'll be fucking 42. I'm never going to see any real space exploration in my lifetime. I was born a century too early.
(May 3, 2012 at 6:31 am)Mosrhun Wrote: I'll be fucking 42. I'm never going to see any real space exploration in my lifetime. I was born a century too early.

But, hopefully we will know that we will have left behind some good grounding for future generations to explore the "heavens".
Cunt
Fuck the future generations. I'll be dead. Tongue
Um...42 is not dead, you know.

I look back on 42 fondly!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Channel, Jupiter, and it's moon Io. Brian37 6 1395 July 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37