Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 4:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nuking of Japan
RE: The Nuking of Japan
(September 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(September 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: I find it hilarious how certain of us have such quaint ideas about war.

Don't be a prat. Knowing that certain acts of war are just plain horrendous does not make one's notions quaint.

Quote:War isn't quaint. It doesn't have your notions of honour or etiquette.

Actually, military personnel are quite often held to a higher standard of honor and etiquette. You should see the rules the army has for how soldiers are supposed to treat civilians, even state side.

Quote:There isn't a right way to kill someone and a human being doesn't stop being human just because it wears a uniform.

Funny. No one so much as hinted that there was. However, there are weapons that are too vast in their scope to be legitimately used in war. We learned that. If it was so fucking right, why haven't we used them again?

Quote:War will kill, maim, destroy with little regard for whoever is in its path. No-one is guilty and no-one is innocent because war doesn't presume to make such judgements. Murder, rape, torture.

That's a load of bullshit perpetuated by shitty war movies. If there are no guilty and no innocent, why are their war criminals? It is not somehow deep to look at the horror of war as unavoidable. It's actually dismissive and weak.

Quote:Travesties when performed by the other side but conventionally ignored when performed by our own. We will decorate those who we would call murderers in any other circumstance.

This is what the "quaint" people are pointing out, you little contradictory butthead. Tongue

Seriously, greneknight, you realize that Jap is a racial slur, right? Fuck's sake, it is impossible to take you seriously when you sound like a fucking hillbilly.

(September 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm)greneknight Wrote: I totally disagree. It was an act which was the lesser of two evils. You probably do not know the evil atrocities committed by the Japs on many Asian countries and what the US did was wonderful in the eyes of the tortured victims. Without these two A-bombs, Japan would never have gone down on its knees. The people of Japan prior to the A-bombs were all for the war and their Emperor. The mushroom clouds were a symbol of hope and salvation for many innocent people in Asia whose families were massacred by the Japs. I've seen a documentary on this.

As I have said, the Japs continue to worship their Class A war criminals and torturers in their Yasukuni shrine. It's a sign that they are unrepentant which is why they are not allowed to build up their military to this day. They can't be trusted. Imagine if Hitler's shrine is venerated in Germany. No, the Germans are decent people, unlike the Japs.

Cute. You ignored the atrocities committed by China on the Japanese. Nearly every, if not every, country on this planet is responsible for something similar. Do not pretend that the Japanese are somehow worse.

Yo,

To distinguish my post from yours, I'll use a different and more exciting colour and text size.

You said this: "Seriously, greneknight, you realize that Jap is a racial slur, right? Fuck's sake, it is impossible to take you seriously when you sound like a fucking hillbilly.

No, Jap is not a racial slur. How on earth can Jap be a racial slur? It's short for Japanese. It's like Aussie for Australian, Brit for British, Czech for citizen of the Czech Republic, Pole for Polish and Scot for Scottish.

You mentioned that I ignored the atrocities commited by the Chinese on the Japanese (I'll say it in full since you don't like the short form). It's like saying I ignored the atrocities committed by the Jews against the Germans. Pray tell, what atrocities did the Chinese commit on the Japanese? What are these atrocities? Anything like the Rape of Nanking? Anything like the concentration camps that British soldiers were sent to by the Japs. Have you seen pics of these British soldiers, how emaciated they were to the point of death? I've read books about the cruelty and the worst thing is the Japanese are not even remotely repentant. They seem impervious to good morality. They are like the Old Testament God and the Old Testament Israelites.
Large, colored text?! I'm having flashbacks of Alter2Ego. Argghhhghhggh!
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(September 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm)Puddleglum Wrote: Chuck has a point about the chinese not being aggressors against the Japanese. Indeed the last time that I can think of is the attempted invasion of Japan by the manchu dynasty back in the 13th century (which failed when a typhoon hit the invasion fleet)

Not quite accurate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze_(typhoon)

Whilst they might have set sail from the place that is now geographically China... they were the Mongols.

I do not know if there were any further invasions or not, but I would have thought there would be.

(September 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Large, colored text?! I'm having flashbacks of Alter2Ego. Argghhhghhggh!

DO NOT GET ME STARTED, FOOL!
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(September 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm)greneknight Wrote: [color=#9400D3][size=large]

Yo,

To distinguish my post from yours, I'll use a different and more exciting colour and text size.

You said this: "Seriously, greneknight, you realize that Jap is a racial slur, right? Fuck's sake, it is impossible to take you seriously when you sound like a fucking hillbilly.

No, Jap is not a racial slur. How on earth can Jap be a racial slur? It's short for Japanese. It's like Aussie for Australian, Brit for British, Czech for citizen of the Czech Republic, Pole for Polish and Scot for Scottish.

You mentioned that I ignored the atrocities commited by the Chinese on the Japanese (I'll say it in full since you don't like the short form). It's like saying I ignored the atrocities committed by the Jews against the Germans. Pray tell, what atrocities did the Chinese commit on the Japanese? What are these atrocities? Anything like the Rape of Nanking? Anything like the concentration camps that British soldiers were sent to by the Japs. Have you seen pics of these British soldiers, how emaciated they were to the point of death? I've read books about the cruelty and the worst thing is the Japanese are not even remotely repentant. They seem impervious to good morality. They are like the Old Testament God and the Old Testament Israelites.

Ick.

Anyway, don't play dumb. Here, allow me to help you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jap+definition

You, sir (loosely, of course) are behaving like a racist. We're talking about a country as an entity. You keep behaving as if every individual still in Japan gives a fuck about what happened during World War II. A lot of them go to school here on exchange programs. There is no brainwashing militia making sure that every last Japanese person is indoctrinated into the cult of unrepentance.
(September 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm)jonb Wrote:
(September 11, 2012 at 10:33 pm)System of Solace Wrote: I meant that the only way Russia would have got mainland Japan (if they chose to invade it) was if we did nothing for months.

The Soviet Union was far more prepared than that. Russia still holds islands the soviets took over in that day. The Soviets could after all transfer troops from Europe to the coast of Japan in one train trip.

Any naval invasion would take time to prepare. I'm sure it would be much quicker than that, actually, knowing previous Russian advances.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
(September 12, 2012 at 10:09 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(September 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm)greneknight Wrote: [color=#9400D3][size=large]

Yo,

Ick.

Anyway, don't play dumb. Here, allow me to help you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jap+definition

Hey, that's a cool link. Does it work with other words. When it brought me to google at first, I thought you had given me a link to google and I felt I was too lazy to bother to type "Jap" and then it did it all for me.

But the truth is I don't look up everything I write. I was told that Hongkee was a rude form of Hong Konger. But these Orientals have the worst names for non-Chinese. Do you know what they call Caucasians? Those in many parts of Asia call us "Red Haired people" but in HK, they call us "Foreign Devils" and it's funny because they call us that even when they mean to be friendly. I think they haven't got the concept of political correctness.
(September 12, 2012 at 10:09 pm)Shell B Wrote: You, sir (loosely, of course) are behaving like a racist. We're talking about a country as an entity. You keep behaving as if every individual still in Japan gives a fuck about what happened during World War II. A lot of them go to school here on exchange programs. There is no brainwashing militia making sure that every last Japanese person is indoctrinated into the cult of unrepentance.

Oh come now, don't get all agro over the Japs.

Like seriously... think about *context*.

Was this in any way meant to be a racial slur?

I don't believe it was, and frankly... I see nothing wrong with calling the Japanese 'japs' when in chill company. Nor the average Arabian guy 'Jamal'. Nor the chinks. Nor the niggas. It can be a racial slur, sure... but it's also part of everyday speech.

The old "so you're offended, so fucking what", y'know? People will just make new racial slurs if you make it painful for them to use the old ones.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
LMAO, I didn't say I was offended. I said it was making him come off like an idiot. Yes, if someone uses the word nigger in a debate either ignorantly or disparagingly, which he was doing, I think less of them. If my friend comes up to me with a relaxed tone and says, "What's up, nigger?" I take it as a joke. I am of the opinion that words are not really offensive by themselves and don't get offended by use of certain terms. At any rate, it's not chill company. It's a thread where people are arguing about whether or not a nuclear bombing was right or wrong. I am thinking about context, Lils. I wouldn't bother wasting my time discussing it if it was just a big joke or I would approach it as a joke. When it comes to language, I don't fucking care about swear words. Terms that are meant to disparage entire races and can be found offensive by them are a much more delicate topic. You are sensitive about what trannies are referred to as, yes? That's a double standard, sweetie.

Yes, gerendude, you can use it with any search phrase. I love that little dooey. Also, saying that they have racial slurs does not make using racial slurs against them pc.
(September 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm)Shell B Wrote: Cute. You ignored the atrocities committed by China on the Japanese. Nearly every, if not every, country on this planet is responsible for something similar. Do not pretend that the Japanese are somehow worse.
(September 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm)greneknight Wrote:

OK, I won't use a different colour since people seem to prefer black and white. But you haven't answered my question. What terrible atrocities were committed on the Japanese by the Chinese? Oh I didn't know you were black (I would have said Afro-American but I'm not sure you are American). Phew! My mum is always complaining that I'm not politically correct but I'm really quite careful. I offended some of them in another thread when I thought "trans" was short for transvestite and not wanting to say the shortened form, seeing how you don't like it, I said "transvestite" to their outrage.

But that's the beauty of the internet forum. If we were in a party, people here probably won't want to talk to me because I haven't grown up taller yet. That will come soon but not yet for now. Cool Shades
Your run of the mill prisoner torture and murder.

I'm not black. I'm just careful about disparaging groups of people. I'm never a fan of putting down a whole bunch of people when I am only trying to put down some. Big Grin

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how you were coming across. I'm glad you know what it is now, so you can use it knowingly, if you so choose. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can Japan Ever Truly Pay for it' s Sins? onlinebiker 29 1337 December 7, 2021 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump was not wearing translator earpiece during Japan PM speech. The Industrial Atheist 4 1110 February 28, 2017 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Questions for Japan BrokenQuill92 12 3383 January 17, 2014 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Tensions Rise Between China and Japan A Theist 16 9372 August 21, 2012 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet