Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hare Krishna
RE: Hare Krishna
(October 6, 2012 at 11:25 pm)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Here's an argument I think is funny, for example:

( P ) Modern science, by their standard of achieving knowledge, has no evidence for God
( C ) Therefore there is no reason to think there is a God

No, no, no. There is nothing to even so much as imply there is a God. Therefore, it is a waste of time to search for evidence for a God. Since there is no implication and all the wonderful means of exploration we have achieved have not turned up anything to support your assertion, there is no reason at this point to think there is a God, just as there is no reason to think there is a Gandalf or a Hercules or a Harry Potter.
(October 7, 2012 at 1:01 am)Shell B Wrote: No, no, no. There is nothing to even so much as imply there is a God. Therefore, it is a waste of time to search for evidence for a God. Since there is no implication and all the wonderful means of exploration we have achieved have not turned up anything to support your assertion, there is no reason at this point to think there is a God, just as there is no reason to think there is a Gandalf or a Hercules or a Harry Potter.

Ahhhh .. but I'd really like there to be a Gandalf. Even just Gandalf the Grey.
(October 7, 2012 at 1:01 am)Shell B Wrote: There is nothing to even so much as imply there is a God.

Says you.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
(October 7, 2012 at 1:15 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote:
(October 7, 2012 at 1:01 am)Shell B Wrote: There is nothing to even so much as imply there is a God.

Says you.

...says someone who still hasn't presented said evidence.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(October 7, 2012 at 1:27 am)Darkstar Wrote: ...says someone who still hasn't presented said evidence.
I don't think you read my other thread.
(October 7, 2012 at 1:36 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote:
(October 7, 2012 at 1:27 am)Darkstar Wrote: ...says someone who still hasn't presented said evidence.

So...you basically said that some impoverished man claimed to have spoken with god, and you believe him. You later ask why god would ever want to know us becuase we are so insignificant...so why would he have spoken to someone? I don't know how you can call the desire for evidence of god childish when people live their lives in very different ways to fit the will of the god they believe in.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(October 7, 2012 at 1:36 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote:

Still hearsay. you say that someone else says that they talked to god. That is hearsay and hearsay is not evidence by any stretch of the imagination (and I would not believe the source anyway, anymore than I would believe the people in the rubber rooms that have voices in their head.)
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 7, 2012 at 2:15 am)IATIA Wrote: Still hearsay. you say that someone else says that they talked to god. That is hearsay and hearsay is not evidence by any stretch of the imagination (and I would not believe the source anyway, anymore than I would believe the people in the rubber rooms that have voices in their head.)

I didn't ask you to accept my evidence as evidence for you. For one thing, you don't know me or my Guru for beans.

Another point is, you clearly don't want to know that God exists. It would mess up your style if God existed. It would take the fun out of your life. It would mess up the idea that you can do whatever the hell you want. You're clearly not ready to be balanced, detached and objective about the possibility.

That's fine. That's what this world is: an illusion, where rebellious souls can live in the fantasy that there is no God.
(October 7, 2012 at 2:46 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: I didn't ask you to accept my evidence as evidence for you. For one thing, you don't know me or my Guru for beans.

Personal evidence cannot have any real validity. Period.

Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote:Another point is, you clearly don't want to know that God exists. It would mess up your style if God existed. It would take the fun out of your life. It would mess up the idea that you can do whatever the hell you want. You're clearly not ready to be balanced, detached and objective about the possibility.

That's fine. That's what this world is: an illusion, where rebellious souls can live in the fantasy that there is no God.

Wow, you really don't understand atheism. Do you really think that atheists think they can do 'whatever the hell' they want? We are being objective about the possibility. You are not. You simply take the word for it of a 'guru'. It is true, I don't know him, but considering the number of people over the years who claim to have been spoken to by any number of mythical beings...well...I don't think many other people would accept this as evidence. Don't you think if we were 'rebellious' we wouldn't honestly believe that god didn't exist, but rather accept him as real and reject him anyway?
(October 7, 2012 at 2:46 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: That's what this world is: an illusion, where rebellious souls can live in the fantasy that there is no God.

You're in charge of your fantasy of what this world is. Make it a good one. (I prefer to restrict my fantasy life to the bedroom.)