Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 9:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pot whale in Spain, filled with plastic garbage.
A pot whale which was found dead at the southern Spanish coast last march was now revealed to have died because of trying to digest plastic.
Inside the digestive systems of the whale 17 kilos of plastic rubbish were found.

"We found an entire greenhouse in it`s stomache" said the head of the scientific center Renaud de Stephanis

a 30 squaremeter plastic sheet (used in greenhouses) several garden hoses and flower pots were found in the whale.

These are commonly used in vegetable green houses on the southern Spanish coast. It is therefor very likely that these green houses are responsible for the enviormental damage by disposing their plastic waste in the the mediterane ocean.

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur...87845.html
RE: pot whale in Spain, filled with plastic garbage.
Isn't that a shame.
Ironic huh?
Why did it eat someones greenhouse?
(March 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm)Insanity x Wrote: Why did it eat someones greenhouse?

I believe that the way by which a whale gathers zooplankton is enough to explain.
(March 15, 2013 at 8:46 am)C3P0 Wrote: I believe that the way by which a whale gathers zooplankton is enough to explain.

Well I guess if you leave plankton in your garden then your greenhouse is fair game.

[Image: 2001129-plankton.png]
I understand TGAC. No one seems to be interested in cleaning up our mess in the oceans. As Zen often says "the oceans die, we as a species die"
(March 15, 2013 at 9:43 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I understand TGAC. No one seems to be interested in cleaning up our mess in the oceans. As Zen often says "the oceans die, we as a species die"

That's quite a hyperbole. There are some people who are very passionate about the well-being of the planet, but the vast majority don't care much for it. Sad
FFS, C3PO. Not every comment I make is directed to you.

I can't help but think of Douglas Adams' tale of the whale and the petunias and chuckle guiltily.

And, yes, I agree with Kichi and Zen.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need study suggest vestigial whale hip bone serves a purpose Dolorian 2 1650 September 11, 2014 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Plastic eating fungus Rhizomorph13 10 3308 March 13, 2012 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Plastic-eating fungus Epimethean 9 2836 February 9, 2012 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  Two Million Year Old Whale Fossils Discovered in Driest Desert Erinome 11 4961 November 22, 2011 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Justtristo