Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 4:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving God Existence
RE: Proving God Existence
Quote:Only one entity can exist outside time.

What entity is it that can exist outside of time and why is it not possible for more than one to exist?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(May 26, 2013 at 7:23 am)bennyboy Wrote: You seem to have a pretty special idea of what it means for something to exist. Normally, to exist is to be locatable in both time and place (for things), or to be experienced as a thought by an individual (this experience also being mediated by time, for without time, there can be no flow of thought). In either case, you have the framework which time provides, and which allows for things to happen-- like new stuff getting made.
You should discuss the proof in its context only
I'm not using the common definition of "Time", I'm only using a sub of its definition which is Events and related events
So when I said, god is outside time, it means His (first action) was/cannot be related to any other event.

(May 26, 2013 at 2:54 pm)little_monkey Wrote:
(May 26, 2013 at 6:24 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: I didn't apply algebra at all, it is only logic!

Your logic is circular. You started with S1 is finite and S2 is infinite to conclude that S1 is indeed finite, therefore S2 can't be infinite.
I didn't assume that, however if events are infinite S1 & S2 must exist

Quote:
Quote: It is a paradox, i.e. impossible to exist in reality

Wrong definition: A paradox is an apparent contradiction.
I mean "disjoint" or "Logical Paradox"

Quote:
Quote:Infinity itself is a conceptual term and nothing can be of infinite time time in the future or history or have an infinite number of real elements.
This is a blatant assertion with no evidence supporting it.
Just apply the proof on anything assumed to be infinite
Or bring a real existence of an infinite members.

(May 26, 2013 at 8:25 pm)ideologue08 Wrote:
(May 26, 2013 at 8:20 pm)little_monkey Wrote: Get real. The burden of proof lies on the shoulder of the one who made the blatant assertion.
So if I say "unicorns don't exist", the burden of proof would be on me to prove that they don't exist? You are really are an ignorant little fucker aren't you? Now are you going to show us an example of non-theoretical infinite or are you going to carry on acting like the ignorant schmuck you are? Thinking
Proofs are meant to prove the existence/validity of something.
Non-existent is impossible to be proved, except by perfect induction where "all" is a finite accessible to be searched
or by contradiction like I did.

For example prove the non-existence of a man in a house by search every room.
Can you prove that Fairy tails don't exist at all? Impossible

The burden of proof is on the party claiming the existence
Like me proving the existence of God

So, you are the one to prove the existence of a real infinite things!
However you don't need that as I already proved the impossibility of that, You either refute my proof or bring a proof of your own showing that it is possible.
(May 28, 2013 at 2:10 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: You should discuss the proof in its context only
I'm not using the common definition of "Time", I'm only using a sub of its definition which is Events and related events
So when I said, god is outside time, it means His (first action) was/cannot be related to any other event.

If you want to say something exists, then it must be locatable in some dimension or framework. However, anything so locatable must be a CHILD to the framework which contains it. Forget time, even your special variant of it. If God preceeds all frameworks, of all types, then in what sense does He exist? Will you say "God is the one special entity which can exist independent of any framework?" If so, I read this statement as "God is the one special entity which can exist without existing." I can proceed with a bunch of condradictory terms to complement his non-existence existence:
-He is the light which is so bright it cannot be seen.
-He is the alpha which is also the omega (thanks Bible).
-He is the manifestation of all that which cannot be manifested.

etc. etc.

But the problem is this: playing with words in this way doesn't do anything but stimulate pot sales.
(May 26, 2013 at 6:24 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote:
(May 25, 2013 at 8:09 am)LostLocke Wrote: There's your first mistake right there....
What is the mistake?
This is just an axiom i.e. it could be correct of false
it is like saying your salary =S
where S is a number, Axioms cannot be wrong!
The mistake is that everything we know right now indicates that time is not infinite. It had a beginning.
You still haven't said what entity exists outside of time and why only one can exist.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

And what of the multiverse theory? Just where does your deity fit into that?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 28, 2013 at 2:10 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote:
(May 26, 2013 at 2:54 pm)little_monkey Wrote: Your logic is circular. You started with S1 is finite and S2 is infinite to conclude that S1 is indeed finite, therefore S2 can't be infinite.
I didn't assume that, however if events are infinite S1 & S2 must exist

Yes, you have defined S1 and S2 as such. Here's a refresher:

Quote:4. Defining two sets of the Universe states in the past

Set 1: All Statuses separated from (1/1/2000 00:00:00) by a finite number of seconds
Set 2: All Statuses separated from (1/1/2000 00:00:00) by an infinite number of seconds
S1= {U(1), U(2), ….}, S2={U(-∞), U(-∞+1), U(-∞+2),….}

So that's an assumption. Your conclusion S1 is finite, S2 cannot exist is just circular.

Quote:Just apply the proof on anything assumed to be infinite
Or bring a real existence of an infinite members.

In that case, according to your "logic", if God is infinite then he's not real
(May 28, 2013 at 10:49 am)little_monkey Wrote: S1= {U(1), U(2), ….}, S2={U(-∞), U(-∞+1), U(-∞+2),….}
Quote:So that's an assumption. Your conclusion S1 is finite, S2 cannot exist is just circular.
It is not circular it is a derivative of the premises
It is obvious that S1 will be finite, however it is not my conclusion as the conclusion is about S2 not S1

Quote:In that case, according to your "logic", if God is infinite then he's not real
Yes, but what do you mean by infinite here?

(May 28, 2013 at 10:10 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: And what of the multiverse theory? Just where does your deity fit into that?
I took that in consideration when I wrote Existence=E

The proof is valid for any (finite) number of universes.

(May 28, 2013 at 9:46 am)paulpablo Wrote: You still haven't said what entity exists outside of time and why only one can exist.
The term "Time" used in the proof is not the general definition that we use

It goes like this:
Events had a start (proved)
The start event must need a doer (G)
G started the first event and he is not an event of others

We measure time by relating events, related events had a start, so the first event cannot be related to others (as there is none), G must be not related to other events (at or before the first event)

If there are more than one G, then events of one can be related to the other
For example G2 will think when G1 did U, which contradicts with the conclusion, so G must be one.

It is a bit philosophical!
(May 29, 2013 at 2:11 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote:
(May 28, 2013 at 10:49 am)little_monkey Wrote: S1= {U(1), U(2), ….}, S2={U(-∞), U(-∞+1), U(-∞+2),….}
Quote:So that's an assumption. Your conclusion S1 is finite, S2 cannot exist is just circular.
It is not circular it is a derivative of the premises
It is obvious that S1 will be finite, however it is not my conclusion as the conclusion is about S2 not S1

Let's take a refresher look at your derivation:

Quote:Set 1: All Statuses separated from (1/1/2000 00:00:00) by a finite number of seconds
Set 2: All Statuses separated from (1/1/2000 00:00:00) by an infinite number of seconds
S1= {U(1), U(2), ….}, S2={U(-∞), U(-∞+1), U(-∞+2),….}

Each set can have (Finite, Infinite or 0) number of members
So the options are:
1. S1 = ɸ (i.e. it is empty)
False, as it contradicts with the ability to measure (time/seconds)

2. S1 has infinite no. of elements
False, as it contradicts with the definition of Set 1; it has only Statuses separated by a finite number of seconds so it must have a finite No. of elements.

3. S1 is finite & S2≠ɸ
False: it means that Set 1 has a last point where next points are away by an infinite time/seconds, but as the next point is separated by an extra 1 second, that point does not exist

4. S1≠ɸ & S2= ɸ

Your premise: S1 is finite.

Your derivation: S1 is not empty, S1 is not infinite.

Your conclusion: therefore S1 is finite.

You can't get more circular than that.

Quote:
Quote:In that case, according to your "logic", if God is infinite then he's not real
Yes, but what do you mean by infinite here?

Isn't it that God is eternal (existed an infinite time in the past, will exist an infinite time in the future)? Isn't he infinitely powerful? Infinitely knowledgeable? Infinitely beneficent?
Quote:If there are more than one G, then events of one can be related to the other
For example G2 will think when G1 did U, which contradicts with the conclusion, so G must be one.

You don't know what G2 is so how can you know G2 will think when G1 does U.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 824 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 22837 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Proving What We Already "Know" bennyboy 171 18258 July 30, 2022 at 1:40 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1938 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6834 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3122 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8511 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14380 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 14663 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 44381 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist