Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 24, 2024, 3:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pledge of Allegiance...
RE: The Pledge of Allegiance...
Here's another tradition that needs to be gotten rid of the same way we quit wiping our ass with our hands when toilet paper was invented....

Singing the national anthem before sporting events.
(June 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm)cato123 Wrote: Here's another tradition that needs to be gotten rid of the same way we quit wiping our ass with our hands when toilet paper was invented....

Why should we stop that?
(June 20, 2013 at 9:19 pm)callahan24 Wrote:
(June 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm)cato123 Wrote: Here's another tradition that needs to be gotten rid of the same way we quit wiping our ass with our hands when toilet paper was invented....

Why should we stop that?

I could see an anthem having relevance in international sports, but for the part of national competitions, it does fade out (from the sheer numbers). Or maybe, bland or overused is a better word.

Imagine if directors chose to play JB songs though, I would be offended.
(June 20, 2013 at 9:19 pm)callahan24 Wrote:

Why should we stop that?

Because its invocation is rote. For me it's akin to a song that you really loved, but can't stand it because it's played every hour on the radio. I love Key's poem and I'm ok with the borrowed melody; however, the singing of the national anthem is just an accepted tradition to start an event.

Is 'God Save the Queen' played before every football game in Britain? Serious inquiry, I want to know.
(June 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm)cato123 Wrote: Because its invocation is rote. For me it's akin to a song that you really loved, but can't stand it because it's played every hour on the radio. I love Key's poem and I'm ok with the borrowed melody; however, the singing of the national anthem is just an accepted tradition to start an event.

Is 'God Save the Queen' played before every football game in Britain? Serious inquiry, I want to know.
Fair point
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan