Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 3, 2024, 1:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repent you fools. Jesus is light! I will pray for you.
RE: Repent you fools. Jesus is light! I will pray for you.
(March 30, 2010 at 10:10 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Big churches scare me.

When I was in Italy some years ago I saw many very big churches and most of them were damn near empty.

Big Grin

Satsfying? I guess ,but I found the relics a bit creepy,especially when it was a head or an entire cadaver rotting away in a glass case.
It's like going to a haunted house, Pad.

Only cleaner.
(March 30, 2010 at 8:22 pm)RedFish Wrote: @ Frodo..How do you do that with yours?
That's my natural look - I don't know what you mean ???
Jesus light......

Is that like Miller lite????

Ps Hi.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(March 31, 2010 at 12:24 am)padraic Wrote:
(March 30, 2010 at 10:10 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Big churches scare me.

When I was in Italy some years ago I saw many very big churches and most of them were damn near empty.

Big Grin

Satsfying? I guess ,but I found the relics a bit creepy,especially when it was a head or an entire cadaver rotting away in a glass case.

I don't really know much about churches, especially the newer ones. A few years ago I spent a semester in Prague and one of the classes I was taking had us studying and exploring the centuries old architecture of the city. Looking at churches (along with many other things) from a historical/anthropological point of view was one of the most satisfying and enlightening experiences I've ever had studying a subject. We even took a field trip to Kutna Hora, a town that boasts a small church decorated wall to wall with human bones. I think it's called the skeleton church, or something to that effect. The inside even had an organ almost completely constructed of human femurs, tibias, etc! It was crazy. But surprisingly I didn't find it creepy, mainly because it is a tourist attraction in a majority secular country and i'm sure the people go there to take pictures, not to pray. Compare that to some of the active, present-day churches that are used for actual worship and still have various body parts of their saints on display.

That people can go to the skeleton church as tourists, laughing and pointing at those silly dark-ages superstitions and later in the week go to their own church and kneel in front of the preserved coccyx bone of st bartholomew and NOT see the connection and absurdity of it all is beyond me.

ps - thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself - Carl Sagan
That skeleton church sounds on hand to appear in a Dimmu Borgir music video...
Welcome EggSpurt
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org
Welcome.

EvF