Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 6:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is evolution hiding?
RE: Why is evolution hiding?
So we're going into semantics now?
You do know the definition of a Scientific Theory as opposed to the more common definition?
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
theory  Use Theory in a sentence theory /ˈθiəri, ˈθɪəri/ Show Spelled [thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural theories.
1.a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.
2.a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact. Synonyms: idea, notion hypothesis, postulate. Antonyms: practice, verification, corroboration, substantiation.
3.Mathematics. a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
4.the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
5.a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles: conflicting theories of how children best learn to read.

Evolution is both theory and fact when you look more deeply at the words "theory" and "fact" especially as they pertain to Science.

Some interpretations of Evolution are not fact and have never been proven by scientific method is what I'm saying.

You're not anti-Christian you're anti-stupid?

Tell me, is it not stupid to say that DNA PROVES the great great great X10,000,000 Grandpa of everyone was an Amoebea?
(March 27, 2014 at 8:12 am)Thunder Cunt Wrote: So, when Science throws out a theory that scientists are not in agreement about, and a theory where they estimate happened over a period of millions of years, i'm sorry, there's nothing wise in putting all my ducks in that basket and propogating it as fact.

So, big pause right here: "scientists are not in agreement" about evolution? That's funny, because 97% of scientists accept that evolution is true. So, um... just factually wrong, on that point.

More importantly, you're now just being difficult for no reason, when you say that we have no reason to believe that millions of years would lead to the evolution of new species because we haven't seen it. What you're saying there is that little changes will never equal big changes- that walking one step at a time, you'll never walk a mile- and there's absolutely no demonstration of a mechanism of effect that would stop evolution from continuing to happen to a lineage clear out into another species. Without a reason to believe that there's something stopping those small changes from making a new species, in a cladistic sense, why believe that it exists at all, other than to be intractable?

The evidence right now points to evolution being responsible for the diversity of life on the planet, and though you say that the genetics involved could also be evidence of a common designer, there are so many problematic elements of the body of every living creature, from a design standpoint, that don't make sense from an intelligent design standpoint, but make perfect sense from an unguided, evolutionary standpoint.

You're positing a designer there, and offering no evidence for it. Why bother?

Oh, and finally? Scientific theory.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 27, 2014 at 9:53 am)Thunder Cunt Wrote: Evolution is both theory and fact when you look more deeply at the words "theory" and "fact" especially as they pertain to Science.

Some interpretations of Evolution are not fact and have never been proven by scientific method is what I'm saying.

You're not anti-Christian you're anti-stupid?

Tell me, is it not stupid to say that DNA PROVES the great great great X10,000,000 Grandpa of everyone was an Amoebea?

Considering: (A) that DNA is pretty much the same code with slight variations across the board (remember 94% or higher of your DNA is identical to chimps and it's something like 50% I believe between you and a banana--that's a remarkable fact if you think about it), (B) that we know how those variations arise (genetic mutations), © the age of life and the age of the Earth, and (D) a fossil record that demonstrates exactly the ascent from simple microbes to the diversity we see today that you just described, I can't really imagine what other conclusions you can draw.
(March 27, 2014 at 10:07 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(March 27, 2014 at 8:12 am)Thunder Cunt Wrote: So, when Science throws out a theory that scientists are not in agreement about, and a theory where they estimate happened over a period of millions of years, i'm sorry, there's nothing wise in putting all my ducks in that basket and propogating it as fact.

So, big pause right here: "scientists are not in agreement" about evolution? That's funny, because 97% of scientists accept that evolution is true. So, um... just factually wrong, on that point.

More importantly, you're now just being difficult for no reason, when you say that we have no reason to believe that millions of years would lead to the evolution of new species because we haven't seen it. What you're saying there is that little changes will never equal big changes- that walking one step at a time, you'll never walk a mile- and there's absolutely no demonstration of a mechanism of effect that would stop evolution from continuing to happen to a lineage clear out into another species. Without a reason to believe that there's something stopping those small changes from making a new species, in a cladistic sense, why believe that it exists at all, other than to be intractable?

The evidence right now points to evolution being responsible for the diversity of life on the planet, and though you say that the genetics involved could also be evidence of a common designer, there are so many problematic elements of the body of every living creature, from a design standpoint, that don't make sense from an intelligent design standpoint, but make perfect sense from an unguided, evolutionary standpoint.

You're positing a designer there, and offering no evidence for it. Why bother?

Oh, and finally? Scientific theory.

It would make sense that 97% of Scientists believe Evolution to be true because evolution is true.

Actually, there is plenty evidence for a designer. Scientists have confirmed that there are people of various Religions who have worked miracles. Very seldom does it happen and few people will witness it. I'd say what happened at Fatima Portugal, the Guadalupe tilma, and the medical findings at Lourdes and eslewhere are evidence.

The beauty of creation.

The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Much closer or further away and we'd freeze or burn.

our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull.

Also, when I bite into a strawberry it seems like that strawberry was designed to delight tastebuds.

THank you for the link on scientific theory.

THe problem I have is that tor said is that DNA proves that our grandparents way back were single cell organism. DNA PROVES no such thing. Scientific theory is not proof so I wish people wouldn't state it like it is and then considering people uneducated idiots if they disagree.
(March 27, 2014 at 10:22 am)Thunder Cunt Wrote: Also, when I bite into a strawberry it seems like that strawberry was designed to delight tastebuds.

Clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z-OLG0KyR4
(March 27, 2014 at 10:25 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(March 27, 2014 at 10:22 am)Thunder Cunt Wrote: Also, when I bite into a strawberry it seems like that strawberry was designed to delight tastebuds.

Clap

Thank you, Thank you!

I knew it was brilliant!

Worship

I would have originally said pussy,
but strawberry works as well Wink
Wait, wait. This one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504#t=67
Maybe god is an omnipotent strawberry, and he made humans for the sake of the strawberries on Earth.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 27, 2014 at 10:33 am)Tonus Wrote: Maybe god is an omnipotent strawberry, and he made humans for the sake of the strawberries on Earth.

Just myself and Paul McCartney who wants to go to strawberry fields FOREVER!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is God hiding? or are our eyes too inferior? WinterHold 49 5488 February 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  Why is god hiding? tor 146 14896 March 28, 2014 at 4:32 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11858 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik