Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2024, 4:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Yellowstone erupt?
Will Yellowstone erupt?
Will it happen in our lifetime?
RE: Will Yellowstone erupt?
Yes it will erupt. We don't know if it will be in our lifetime, but it probably won't be.
You will not see it.
Someone told me that all the animals were leaving yellowstone and that is evidence that it may erupt soon. People say A lot of things
(April 9, 2014 at 5:24 am)Phatt Matt s Wrote: Someone told me that all the animals were leaving yellowstone and that is evidence that it may erupt soon. People say A lot of things

People are full of shit.
(April 9, 2014 at 5:24 am)Phatt Matt s Wrote: Someone told me that all the animals were leaving yellowstone and that is evidence that it may erupt soon. People say A lot of things

There's a video of bison supposedly running for their lives. It turns out that bison often run down the road.

Bison Running Away From Earthquakes? Not So Fast

Quote:A video of bison running through Yellowstone sparked speculation that they were running away from an earthquake. They weren't
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Lol. Thanks guys!
(April 9, 2014 at 4:34 am)Phatt Matt s Wrote: Will it happen in our lifetime?

Probably not, but it could. I think the Cascadia fault line could go before Yellowstone erupts, after all the average between-quake interval is way shorter than the average supervolcano eruption interval, and the Cascadia section of the Ring of Fire is one of the only major sections to not have had a major quake in the last hundred or so years. (Japan, New Zealand, two in Chili, the Indonesian quake and in Alaska in the 60s, but no mega thrust quakes in the Pacific Northwest zone since about 1700...

Maybe I should have gotten earthquake insurance for my condo... Angel

Or the one could cause the other - yellowstone causing a cascadia quake would probably be more likely. Who knows? They might not be close enough to each other for one to cause the other.

Better evidence would be that the magma chamber under the park is growing - The magma chamber increases in size, swells the land above it causing the lake beds to rise and the lakes to overflow their shores and swamp the nearby trees. This is happening right now.

I wouldn't put any stock is "animals are leaving yellowstone!" especially when they're talking about migratory animals like bison.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
They have sensors all over Yellowstone to measure the way the land is shifting due to the magma chamber. I would assume that there would be some indicator there for a long enough time for there to be some sort of warning for when the thing will erupt.

As CM pointed out, the Cascadia fault-line is much more likely to cause an earthquake in our lifetime, and from what the scientists say, the next time that fault shifts, it's going to be a doozy.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I hate to admit it...but as for Yellowstone, I tend to ignore it. If it blows, it's pretty much the end of civilization as we know it. I push it back to the recesses of my mind and cringe whenever it's brought up.

Denial. Sweet, willful, blissful ignorance...
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed