Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2024, 6:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Yellowstone erupt?
RE: Will Yellowstone erupt?
(April 9, 2014 at 11:46 am)Faith No More Wrote: They have sensors all over Yellowstone to measure the way the land is shifting due to the magma chamber. I would assume that there would be some indicator there for a long enough time for there to be some sort of warning for when the thing will erupt.

I'm not convinced any reasonable amount of warning is going to be enough. Fortunately, such eruptions appear rare even on geological timescales.

ETA: In case the context didn't make my meaning obvious, I'm referring to a "supervolcano" eruption, not a more modest eruption that orogenicman speaks of in the next post.
(April 9, 2014 at 5:24 am)Phatt Matt s Wrote: Someone told me that all the animals were leaving yellowstone and that is evidence that it may erupt soon. People say A lot of things

That is a hoax. The video that was used as evidence of animals leaving Yellowstone actually showed them ENTERING Yellowstone. They migrate every spring into the park in search of food.

As for whether or not Yellowstone will erupt in our lifetime, I doubt it. There is a big difference between the volume of lava that is in a magma chamber and the volume in that chamber that is eruptible. Yellowstone has a huge magma chamber, but the bulk of it doesn't appear to be eruptible. So at present, if an eruption were to occur there, it would likely be small to modest in size (no larger than Mt. St. Helens, at worst.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Erupt what? Wjat kind of eruption?

Hydrothermal eruption of Steam and hot water? Happens every day.

Ash and Tephra eruption caused by phreatomagmatic explosion, possibly followed by modest lava extrusions? Possibly it could happen in our life time. Although the chance seems low because it hasn't seem to have happened in Yellowstone for many thousands of years.

A plinian eruption like Mt St Helens? Possibly it could happen, but less likely than ash or tephra eruptions. But I think the current view is such event hasn't happened in yellowstone in over 70 thousand years.

A large caldera forming eruption capable of bloting out the land of the free and home of the brave? I believe the current view is the condition for such a eruption currently does not exist. I think geological record suggests caldrea forming eruption over the yellowstone hot spot tend to occur in spurts. Several caldrea forming eruption occurs in one region over a period of a couple of million years, then a quiet period of a couple of million years in which only much smaller eruptions occur, and then a new episold of caldra forming eruptions occurs 100 miles of so further to the north east. I think some geologists think the Lava creek eruption 600,000 years ago mark the end of the spurt of caldera forming eruption that began 2 million years ago with huckleberry ridge eruption. The next caldera forming eruption will belong to a new cycle that won't occur for 2-3 million years, and will happen far outside park boundary to the north east of the park.
(April 9, 2014 at 12:38 pm)Chuck Wrote: Erupt what? Wjat kind of eruption?

Hydrothermal eruption of Steam and hot water? Happens every day.

Ash and Tephra eruption caused by phreatomagmatic explosion, possibly followed by modest lava extrusions? Possibly it could happen in our life time. Although the chance seems low because it hasn't seem to have happened in Yellowstone for many thousands of years.

A plinian eruption like Mt St Helens? Possibly it could happen, but less likely than ash or tephra eruptions. But I think the current view is such event hasn't happened in yellowstone in over 70 thousand years.

A large caldera forming eruption capable of bloting out the land of the free and home of the brave? I believe the current view is the condition for such a eruption currently does not exist. I think geological record suggests caldrea forming eruption over the yellowstone hot spot tend to occur in spurts. Several caldrea forming eruption occurs in one region over a period of a couple of million years, then a quiet period of a couple of million years in which only much smaller eruptions occur, and then a new episold of caldra forming eruptions occurs 100 miles of so further to the north east. I think some geologists think the Lava creek eruption 600,000 years ago mark the end of the spurt of caldera forming eruption that began 2 million years ago with huckleberry ridge eruption. The next caldera forming eruption will belong to a new cycle that won't occur for 2-3 million years, and will happen far outside park boundary to the north east of the park.

Thanks for posting this. Seriously. Even if it's not accurate, I will now cling to it to comfort me and keep my find from an inconvenient reality!

Wow...I sound like a X-ian now lol
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(April 9, 2014 at 11:50 am)ThePinsir Wrote: I hate to admit it...but as for Yellowstone, I tend to ignore it. If it blows, it's pretty much the end of civilization as we know it. I push it back to the recesses of my mind and cringe whenever it's brought up.

Denial. Sweet, willful, blissful ignorance...

Not really. Until it blows we will have thermonuclear fusion and cities underground which have forests and stuff.
I'll keep an eye on the northern horizon and if it lights up I'll shit my pants and try to get the word out.
(April 9, 2014 at 4:34 am)Phatt Matt s Wrote: Will it happen in our lifetime?

I think the San Andreas Fault will slip before ole Yeller pops.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(April 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'll keep an eye on the northern horizon and if it lights up I'll shit my pants and try to get the word out.

If it is a resurgent caldera eruption then what you would likely see won't be northern horizon lighting up. Instead it would be northern horizon darkening as the ash cloud blots out the sun and smother everything in its path.

As you contemplate your imminent entombment you would also likely hear the sound of volcano eruption no matter where you are. The noise of resurgent caldrea eruption is likely so laud it can be heard anywhere on earth.

(April 9, 2014 at 6:07 pm)ManMachine Wrote:
(April 9, 2014 at 4:34 am)Phatt Matt s Wrote: Will it happen in our lifetime?

I think the San Andreas Fault will slip before ole Yeller pops.

MM

Yellowstone is not the only such mega-volcano on earth, you know. There are about 20 other volcanic centers that have the history of staging, and the potential to stage, eruptions comparable to the largest eruptions ever seen in Yellowstone. In fact, two of them are in the lower 48 states.

To further despair Min, both of these other megavolcanos in united states are closer to where he lives than Yellowstone. One is in california, near Yosemite National Park, the other is in New Mexico, near Los Alamos national laboratory. He is surrounded on 3 sides by megavolcanos.

Devil
Quote:To further despair Min, both of these other megavolcanos in united states are closer to where he lives than Yellowstone. One is in california, near Yosemite National Park, the other is in New Mexico, near Los Alamos national laboratory. He is surrounded on 3 sides by megavolcanos.
Yeah and Andromeda is headed directly to us. Doesn't bother me since I won't be around by the time that happens.
(April 9, 2014 at 6:27 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(April 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'll keep an eye on the northern horizon and if it lights up I'll shit my pants and try to get the word out.

If it is a resurgent caldera eruption then what you would likely see won't be northern horizon lighting up. Instead it would be northern horizon darkening as the ash cloud blots out the sun and smother everything in its path.

As you contemplate your imminent entombment you would also likely hear the sound of volcano eruption no matter where you are. The noise of resurgent caldrea eruption is likely so laud it can be heard anywhere on earth.

(April 9, 2014 at 6:07 pm)ManMachine Wrote: I think the San Andreas Fault will slip before ole Yeller pops.

MM

Yellowstone is not the only such mega-volcano on earth, you know. There are about 20 other volcanic centers that have the history of staging, and the potential to stage, eruptions comparable to the largest eruptions ever seen in Yellowstone. In fact, two of them are in the lower 48 states.

To further despair Min, both of these other megavolcanos in united states are closer to where he lives than Yellowstone. One is in california, near Yosemite National Park, the other is in New Mexico, near Los Alamos national laboratory. He is surrounded on 3 sides by megavolcanos.

Devil

Well, fuck. I may as well just have a drink.