Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2024, 6:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Yellowstone erupt?
RE: Will Yellowstone erupt?
(April 9, 2014 at 12:38 pm)Chuck Wrote: Erupt what? Wjat kind of eruption?

Hydrothermal eruption of Steam and hot water? Happens every day.

Ash and Tephra eruption caused by phreatomagmatic explosion, possibly followed by modest lava extrusions?

A plinian eruption like Mt St Helens?

A large caldera forming eruption capable of bloting out the land of the free and home of the brave?

Beer.

FSM Grin

(April 9, 2014 at 6:07 pm)ManMachine Wrote:
(April 9, 2014 at 4:34 am)Phatt Matt s Wrote: Will it happen in our lifetime?

I think the San Andreas Fault will slip before ole Yeller pops.

MM

Umm... duh.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(April 10, 2014 at 1:16 am)tor Wrote:
Quote:To further despair Min, both of these other megavolcanos in united states are closer to where he lives than Yellowstone. One is in california, near Yosemite National Park, the other is in New Mexico, near Los Alamos national laboratory. He is surrounded on 3 sides by megavolcanos.
Yeah and Andromeda is headed directly to us. Doesn't bother me since I won't be around by the time that happens.

If one of those megavolcanos goes off, you won't be around long then either. Big Grin
(April 10, 2014 at 11:19 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 1:16 am)tor Wrote: Yeah and Andromeda is headed directly to us. Doesn't bother me since I won't be around by the time that happens.

If one of those megavolcanos goes off, you won't be around long then either. Big Grin

How do you know? Maybe aging process will be fixed by then.
(April 10, 2014 at 11:23 am)tor Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 11:19 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: If one of those megavolcanos goes off, you won't be around long then either. Big Grin

How do you know? Maybe aging process will be fixed by then.

Even if aging and all diseases are "cured" you still have a finite life expectancy. At some point you are going to succumb to an accident or intentional act that does you in.

I doubt anyone alive today will be around to see the Andromeda's supermassive black hole merge with the supermassive black hole the Milky Way. With aging "cured" you might live a few thousand years but that's probably about it.
I think the joke whooshes over both of your heads.