Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 5:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The constitution & the bible
The constitution & the bible
Here's a political/ religious question for my atheist brothers, sisters, and other, does the bible hold any significance anymore? Or is it full of useless ideas and rules? I know most of you will answer the latter, but what does that make of the constitution of the united states? Does it hold significance, or is it a dated document that is too aged to have any effect?
Please leave your opinion in the reply section below.
RE: The constitution & the bible
We know the Constitution was drafted by fallible men, which is why I think there are laws to alter the constitution as society sees fit.

The bible is just a bunch of unsubstantiated hogwash trying to pass itself off as the ultimate universal, unchanging guide to truth and morality.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 25, 2014 at 7:59 pm)Sludgeman101 Wrote: Here's a political/ religious question for my atheist brothers, sisters, and other, does the bible hold any significance anymore? Or is it full of useless ideas and rules? I know most of you will answer the latter, but what does that make of the constitution of the united states? Does it hold significance, or is it a dated document that is too aged to have any effect?

The book is still relevant unless, of course, you can show humans are no longer human. which you can't. The lesson are still very relevant.
(May 25, 2014 at 8:15 pm)archangle Wrote:
(May 25, 2014 at 7:59 pm)Sludgeman101 Wrote: Here's a political/ religious question for my atheist brothers, sisters, and other, does the bible hold any significance anymore? Or is it full of useless ideas and rules? I know most of you will answer the latter, but what does that make of the constitution of the united states? Does it hold significance, or is it a dated document that is too aged to have any effect?

The book is still relevant unless, of course, you can show humans are no longer human. which you can't. The lesson are still very relevant.

Some tiny fraction of the Bible stories/verses are relevant.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(May 26, 2014 at 10:49 am)Chas Wrote:
(May 25, 2014 at 8:15 pm)archangle Wrote: The book is still relevant unless, of course, you can show humans are no longer human. which you can't. The lesson are still very relevant.

Some tiny fraction of the Bible stories/verses are relevant.

yeah right .... small

like lust, ego, gluttony, vanity, wrath, pride and indifference towards others is "bad". this stuff is over rated

that earthly things in moderation are good for you. variety is the spice of life. utterly useless.

Love and compassion towards your fellow man should always be one of your primary goals. flat out ass-a-nine notion here.

yep Chas, just a small part of the book is useful.
One of the presidents (I forgot which one) stated this system in America would only work for a moral people.
The current regime is doing all possible to negate the separation of powers found in the Constitution- which were based on the Bible---
The Lord is our king (office of president)
The Lord is our judge (office of the Judicial)
The Lord is our lawgiver (Congress)

Having had tyranny from England, the framers sought to segregate power as much as possible and among multiple office holders.
If you read the writings of the Founders, you would see where the foundation came from.
The bible was printed and distributed at govt. expense in the history of the nation.
That action reflected the importance of the book.
(May 26, 2014 at 11:42 am)archangle Wrote:
(May 26, 2014 at 10:49 am)Chas Wrote: Some tiny fraction of the Bible stories/verses are relevant.

yeah right .... small

like lust, ego, gluttony, vanity, wrath, pride and indifference towards others is "bad". this stuff is over rated

that earthly things in moderation are good for you. variety is the spice of life. utterly useless.

Love and compassion towards your fellow man should always be one of your primary goals. flat out ass-a-nine notion here.

These are the sort of notions you'll find in many different belief systems and holy scriptures and self-help books, and the sort of behaviors most well-adjusted and decent people exhibit regardless of belief system. They aren't original ideas invented by the Bible's writers, and the God of the Bible exhibits virtually all of those negative behaviors, with the implication that you should do as God says and not as he does.

When you look at the Bible's exclusive content, there isn't that much of value to be found.
The fucking bible has nothing to do with the constitution.
The Bible has exactly as much impact on my daily life as does the US Constitution - none to speak of.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(May 26, 2014 at 11:42 am)archangle Wrote:
(May 26, 2014 at 10:49 am)Chas Wrote: Some tiny fraction of the Bible stories/verses are relevant.

yeah right .... small

You are conflating the perceived importance of some lessons with how much of the Bible they take up.

The stories and verses that address positive moral lessons is a very small proportion.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist Sent To Jail For Rejecting God, In Blatant Violation Of The Constitution Big Blue Sky 10 4699 August 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome