Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions
RE: A few questions
Is it possible that space aliens visited early man, and blended their DNA with that of early hominids? Is it possible that these space aliens left behind wondrous secrets, to be guarded by the chosen few until such time as humanity was ready for them? And if so, is it possible that the Reverend Joseph Smith discovered some of these secrets, and used to reveal through them the will of the alien God?

We may never know, but one thing is certain. . . the universe is a big and wondrous place, filled with inconceivable wonders-- and one of them just might be watching you. . . right. . . now. Do you believe in Sky Daddy? Or. . . more importantly. . . does Sky Daddy believe in you?

Tune in next week as we investigate the capybara. What you don't know just might kill you!
(October 20, 2014 at 9:06 am)bennyboy Wrote: Tune in next week as we investigate the capybara. What you don't know just might kill you!

While capybara are damn scary little fellas...

[Image: PIbKpeE.jpg]

I'm more worried about the chupacabras Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

haha nice catch Big Grin

But I have to say when I DO die, I hope it's by capybara and not a chupacabra.
(October 19, 2014 at 11:28 pm)Vivalarevolution Wrote: Well I see that none of you are outright against the possibility of some intelligence planning of all together ( even if it was just a fairy or people from krypton).
That was also was what Albert Einstein said about his beliefs. That the working universe of the universe was set up so complex that it made sense to think it was all created by an intelligence

Einstein never said that.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(October 20, 2014 at 10:35 am)Chas Wrote:
(October 19, 2014 at 11:28 pm)Vivalarevolution Wrote: Well I see that none of you are outright against the possibility of some intelligence planning of all together ( even if it was just a fairy or people from krypton).
That was also was what Albert Einstein said about his beliefs. That the working universe of the universe was set up so complex that it made sense to think it was all created by an intelligence

Einstein never said that.

Yeah, I don't understand why X-tian who people quote the messed-up paraphrases they heard from a friend of a friend of someone who once attended grammar school don't just learn how google works. Are they not aware that 10 seconds of typing can correct their many obvious mistakes and avoid embarrassment?
It's even better when they're the same ones that howl about bible verses being taken out of context.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 20, 2014 at 12:48 am)Vivalarevolution Wrote: How is a lion with goat legs possible? Please use a better analogy

Can you be 100% certain that its impossible? If yes, then provide proof. If no, then its a perfect analogy.

(October 20, 2014 at 12:48 am)Vivalarevolution Wrote: And please tell, what about the opinion that the universe was designed by an intelligent designer/ architect/engineer doesn't make sense.?

Simple enough - intelligence and consciousness are temporal and the result of material processes. Intelligence existing independent of both matter and time - as it'd have to be with your "designer" - doesn't make any sense.

(October 20, 2014 at 12:48 am)Vivalarevolution Wrote: Can you 100 % be certain of the scenario that it isn't this way? If you can't, you would be agnostic.

I can be reasonably certain, which does not require 100% certainty and that makes me a gnostic.

(October 20, 2014 at 12:48 am)Vivalarevolution Wrote: Can you say for SURE that we are the cause of our existence is that the universe just HAPPENED to start with the big bang, stars formed, chemicals formed, planets etc . . . are we to give credit for our existence just to luck?

I'm pointing out what we CAN'T give the credit to.

(October 20, 2014 at 12:48 am)Vivalarevolution Wrote: Because if the universe worked in any other way than it did in the past 13.7 billion years . . . It's safe to say we wouldn't exist.

And you have any evidence to suggest that the universe can work any other way?

(October 20, 2014 at 12:48 am)Vivalarevolution Wrote: So out of the infinite possibilities of what could have happened, we have a star created from a molecular cloud collapse, 4.57 billion years ago, planets got created. If even one planet out of 8, (except maybe mercury) would never have been created, earth wouldn't still be the same distance from the sun (and our position right now is perfect).
These conditions were necessary for life.

Anthropic fallacy - these conditions are necessary for life as we know it. Can you discount the possibility of other non-carbon based life-forms?

(October 20, 2014 at 12:48 am)Vivalarevolution Wrote: Why out of the infinite number of other possibilities, like what if dark energy really didn't / doesn't exist to expand the universe with the same "force" (I can't think of a better word) it does now?

Have you studied the links I provided for answers?

(October 20, 2014 at 12:48 am)Vivalarevolution Wrote: Logic, and laws dictate that there should've been multiple future possibilities. And since you proved chaos, there was no reason for things to happen as they did. And yet they have. Out of the multiple future possibilities, we HAPPENED to come to life.
Luck?

Can you prove that this is the only possibility within which life is possible? Have you studied all the other "multiple future possibilities" and found that life is impossible in all of them?
(October 20, 2014 at 6:33 am)Vivalarevolution Wrote: Good answer. Big Grin
And yes . . . As of this thread I am addressing Deism. THAT'S the word I needed. I forgot. Thanks

Deism, hmmm. So where is your proof for it?

FYI, your ignorance and/or science's ignorance of it is not proof. Your "possibilities" are useless to determine likelihoods when you admit you don't understand how our current universe works.
The actions and thinking of living things are determined by the brain, determined by the laws, excluding the higher power. :-)
(October 20, 2014 at 2:13 pm)TreeSapNest Wrote: The actions and thinking of living things are determined by the brain, determined by the laws, excluding the higher power. :-)

I'd have to ask you the same question the other guys are asking the Deist. How do you/can you know this for sure? Specifically, how do you know for sure that there is not a higher power which mediates or modulates mood, injects at least some ideas or feelings into a human organism?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A few thoughts on the Euthyphro dilemma shinydarkrai94 24 12850 May 3, 2012 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Reforged