Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 8:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theist zone
RE: Godhead & theists
(July 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm)Godhead Wrote: I'm not really familiar with the bible. Does it actually say in genesis that god created out of nothing? I've read the first bit (before it gets really hard to understand) but I can't remember anything about god creating from nothing. If it does say it somewhere, which bit is it?
^^ There's this book called Genesis. The very first verse in the entire Bible states "1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The word "created" translated back to Hebrew is "bara" which literally expresses creation out of nothing. This word is used throughout the Bible and is only associated with God.

You haven't read your Bible have you? You might actually want to bother reading it sometime if you're here professing belief in a supernatural deity. XD

(July 21, 2010 at 11:17 pm)Godschild Wrote: Neither, God is a supernatural being, not a man, not by any stretch of the imagination. How does matter form itself out of nothing?
It doesn't. Read a physics book sometime and you'll stumble upon Empirical laws regarding reality, and under Conservation laws you'll find the Laws of Conservation of Mass & Energy. It states that the mass of a closed isolated system will remain constant over time, as thermodynamics dictates. In other words, mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Godschild Wrote:Do you believe the universe has always existed? What is believable is that an all powerful, all knowing, ever present God created the universe out of nothing. To me believing that the universe has always existed would take a ton of faith far more than I have.
All the available evidence points to just that, the universe has always existed naturally in some form or other, free of an intelligent first-cause, just because you can't comprehend that reality is complex and can only manage to conceive of a supernatural magic-man (one who you have a personal relationship/experience with) is utterly irrelevant and my, how ignorantly fallacious you are being today!

Just because we can't yet understand reality in its entirety doesn't make it any less real or demonstrable.

Godschild Wrote:If you are not familiar with the Bible how is it that you can identify yourself with Christ that makes no sense to me. The OT is a fore telling of Christ. The NT is about who He is and why He came to earth. This is basic knowledge for christians.
What are you talking about? Christ didn't even fulfil Messianic prophecies! Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah in OT! Worse still, Christianity contradicts Jewish eschatology! That's why the Jews don't regard him as Lord, Son of God, and/or their saviour!
Quote:Christ didn't even fulfil Messianic prophecies! Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah in OT!

Which is why they had to invent the doctrine of the second coming...because their alleged 'god' couldn't get it right the first time.

Some god.
Welsh cake -

Sorry but no, I haven't read the bible as much as you have. You obviously equate theism and a belief in god with the bible and christianity. Which is ironic, as you obviously seem to have much more of a connection with religion than I ever did. It's bizarre really, you're an atheist with the mind of a christian. I've noticed that about a lot of atheists, they can't seem to let go of christianity, they're obsessed with it just as much as some christians are. Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart.
Quote:EvF what kind of evidence are you asking for, just look all around you, where do you think all that matter came from. Do you believe that it just manifested itself, now that would be a hard one to swallow.

That isn't evidence, nor is it an argument.

That's appeal to emotion.

That's at least two fallacies in fact, the appeal to emotion fallacy, and the personal incredulity fallacy since you are asserting that God must exist (or is very likely to) simply because you personally can't imagine it happening any other way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_emotion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_fr...magination

Quote:Do you believe that it just manifested itself

Do you believe God in all his supernaturalness just manifested "him"self without any explanation for him whatsoever in addition to him having the ability to then create the universe?

I'm asking for some surprisingly amazing evidence that surprises me by being able to substantiate God's existence even when by definition he's outside of the natural realm.

Or.... IOW I'm just asking a rhetorical question about evidence in order to demonstrate the fact your beliefs almost certainly aren't backed up by any.

EvF
@ Welsh the universe, I believe, isn't an isolated system. I'm sure Void will chime in if I got this wrong.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(July 23, 2010 at 12:38 am)tackattack Wrote: @ Welsh the universe, I believe, isn't an isolated system. I'm sure Void will chime in if I got this wrong.

The universe was/is believed by many to be an isolated system, though you have to be careful, because some still use the term universe to include a mutliverse or extraverse as well as our universe... If you are talking about the post inflationary universe then i honestly don't think it is an isolated system, the dark energy problem seems to suggest that something may be coming into the system, but there are other proposed causes for dark energy that posit the conversion of antimatter into dark energy at points of high density, like black holes, as if the destruction of antimatter spawns the dark matter - then it would be the case that our observations are not an entry of matter, but a proportional transition, like the universe being turned inside out from the middle (for lack of a better picture)... Though honestly you can't really hold favor with either explanation.
(July 20, 2010 at 9:38 pm)CoolBoy Wrote: Although I am atheist I have no doubt that Jesus existed. He is recorded on censuses from the time.

lol, wut?

Edit: For clarification, in all the theist BS here, I singled out this as the stupidest comment.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Eilonnwy -

There's no need to ridicule Coolboy for his views. Many atheists agree that Jesus existed.
Godhead - you are not the police of the forums. Stop spamming the forums with telling people what they should or should not say when they're not breaking any forum rules. Please.
I'll step in for Coolboy....

Given Jesus was written about so much, there's a very good chance some random named Jesus actually existed.
Whether or not he was the son of God.... is another matter.

I think that's what he meant...

Given this guys track record, he was most likely the same as any other lunatic claiming to be related to God somehow, today.
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 841 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 3871 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 3353 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You're a theist against immigration? Silver 54 10448 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A serious question for the theist. Silver 18 3306 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 2013 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Silver 13 4004 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 26518 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 15741 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  [1 second conversion] Convert theist to atheist, in 1 second ProgrammingGodJordan 252 27341 February 17, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: maestroanth