Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 20, 2024, 8:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What IS good, and how do we determine it?
RE: What IS good, and how do we determine it?
They keep on whining, I keep on enjoying that. Popcorn
Huģgy and Randy sure like the attention given to them. *yawn*.

I am sure you guys enjoy the entertainment. Tongue
Guys, it's real simple: this is an atheist forum with pretty relaxed rules.  Of course your church will be slandered, and your god blasphemed against.  Your god fucking sucks.  For every example of your holy text saying something positive, there's at least one counter example (usually more than one) of it being completely reprehensible.  And even then, the scale is skewed.  Jesus healing the locals doesn't really make up for the great flood, for instance.  And that's to say nothing of what many of your religion's most ardent followers do in your god's name.

Don't wanna be called a liar?  Don't be dishonest.  Don't misquote people.  Don't say you're going to do something, then not do it.  Don't misrepresent another.  Don't put words into another's mouth.

Personal insults?  Most of us have been insulted.  Oh noes, you've been called a motherfucker, an idiot, an imbecile, etc.  So have most of the rest of us.  Shit, GC passes insults around like they're candy.  Don't like it?  No one is forcing you to stay.

Above all else, no one fucking cares about your issues with the staff of other posters.  As the staff has said until they're green in the face (see what I did there?), the report button exists for a reason.  I'm also pretty sure that they'd rather be PMd about your issues than to see on-topic threads completely derailed because someone dumped some sand on you while playing in the sandbox.  In fact, a PM would be the perfect place to make your case with your CSI: AF forensic evidence quote mining skills instead of cocking up yet another thread with the same shit.

Seriously, guys.  Stop pulling a Huggy.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
People - As we've asked Randy to take it to the appropriate forum, and he's agreed, let's end this derail.
(July 4, 2015 at 1:09 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(July 3, 2015 at 12:31 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: You clearly are in need of a good dictionary:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...ctCode=all

Quoting someone and giving them credit for saying it is the antithesis of plagiarism.
My point apparently sailed waaayyy over your head. I was saying Stimbo's quote from Abraham Lincoln (the quote is actually credited to a number of people) was plagiarizing the bible.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." - Proverbs 17:28

See the similarities?

They are similar, but importantly different.  In Proverbs, the silent person is thought wise.  In the Lincoln quote, the silent person is suspected of being a fool.  See the difference?

So, they are not saying the same thing at all.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Ending derail...
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(July 3, 2015 at 6:05 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(July 3, 2015 at 3:27 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote: The approach doesn't matter, if you where a true evidential apologist you would be arguing gods existence based on evidence that a believer and a non believer both agree on, so all presupposition is removed. What your doing is presenting stuff that you think is "evidence" for a god you already presuppose exists.

(July 3, 2015 at 3:30 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: .....and giving ZERO evidence.

Incorrectomundo, gentlemen.

In the "Minimal Fact Approach" thread, I am arguing for the resurrection of Jesus on the basis of four facts which the overwhelming majority of ALL NT scholars (believers and skeptics alike) accept as highly probable. The fifth fact is accepted by a simple majority.

That's kinda the whole point. These are not facts with which you may take issue easily as they are most generally conceded as undisputed.

See ya there.

Popular opinion does not a fact make; that requires evidence.

And no one has slandered your church.  Truth is not slander.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Good point. In order for a charge of slander or libel to be upheld, the statement in question has to be untrue.

And anyone who says "incorrectomundo" has to be immediately suspect.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 6, 2015 at 3:37 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Good point. In order for a charge of slander or libel to be upheld, the statement in question has to be untrue.
Sounds like a challenge....
Be my guest.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 11895 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter