Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 7:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is what make you S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
RE: This is what make you S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
(December 19, 2015 at 12:39 am)Evie Wrote: It worked for Diablo II.

No it didn't.  Diablo II never had mobs just randomly getting harder.  You played through the whole game and went back to the start at the next level, and spent 5 minutes killing those ardvark things or whatever that you fought at lvl 1.

Fallrim, you can go back to the same area over and over and over, and watch the enemies just keep getting tougher and tougher and tougher, with no story at all to explain why super-strong Super Mutants are guarding a comic book store.
I'm not including the earlier levels you backtrack to.
(December 19, 2015 at 12:48 am)Evie Wrote: I'm not including the earlier levels you backtrack to.

orly?

I remember everything being whatever level it was.  I mean, it's an MMORPG, so how would it scale to you personally?
What I mean is if you progress on and on with the story through the acts in a linear way, the monsters level with you. It's only when backtracking to earlier levels that you meet weaker level monsters, and it's incredibly, incredibly ineffective to farm XP from those lower monsters. They give you basically nothing once you're higher level. Diablo II simply has that non-linear aspect on top of it because it's fucking epic.

And no, it's not a MMORPG. It has a purely single player mode too. You're thinking of WoW. My box of D2 and the expansion pack LoD is but a few feet away from me. It's memorable to me because I still play it hehe.
That's not what benny's talking about, though.

In Fallout, it seems that no matter what you're doing, where you're at, the enemies level with you. The map is not linear at all.

Although, it seems, they level with you at different rates, or they have a cap. I don't care what level of Raider or Ghoul I encounter at L41, it's a one or two shot kill. And if they get within range of my badass Stunning Super Sledge, one shot mamma jamma. And Raiders are infinitely more likely to go all rag doll physics after that sledge swing.

Now, Mirelurks and higher level Super Mutants, OTOH, stay hard. That's why my boy Strong carries a Fat Boy at all times.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Hm. I thought they level with you in Diablo 2 as well in the sense that the monsters you encounter as you progress are the same level as you provided that you don't backtrack.
(December 19, 2015 at 1:48 am)Evie Wrote: What I mean is if you progress on and on with the story through the acts in a linear way, the monsters level with you. It's only when backtracking to earlier levels that you meet weaker level monsters, and it's incredibly, incredibly ineffective to farm XP from those lower monsters. They give you basically nothing once you're higher level. Diablo II simply has that non-linear aspect on top of it because it's fucking epic.

And no, it's not a MMORPG. It has a purely single player mode too. You're thinking of WoW. My box of D2 and the expansion pack LoD is but a few feet away from me. It's memorable to me because I still play it hehe.

I'm for sure thinking of DII, because it is the game that, after not having my own computer for several years after high school, brought me back to video gaming.  I spent literally several hours per night in PC cafes in Korea playing with coworkers.
Awesome. I got confused because you said it was a MMORPG.
(December 19, 2015 at 12:06 am)bennyboy Wrote: That's the thing I hated about Skyrim, Fallrim3 and now Fallrim4.  Leveling enemies for NO game-sensible reason is just pointless.  Why level if everything you fight is always the same level as you?

Most enemies aren't. At Corvega, you still encounter the good old onneshot raiders. Maybe with one or two legendaries or named ones mixed in.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Finally got started. Sad my name isn't one of the names that Codsworth can say though.

Hope to play a little more before Winter break is over.