Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 1:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
Age of consent is really tricky. And people are so different it probably is better to have the age restriction in place for the purpose of safety. Have I met absolutely immature thirty year olds? Yes. Are there very mature teenagers. Yes.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 30, 2023 at 5:31 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: the famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright designed the Falling Water House, subsequently judged by the American Institute of Architects to be the “all-time best work of American architecture” and made a World Heritage Site by the UN,  in 3 hours while giving a lecture to his apprentices.

That the American Institute of Architects should accord the Falling Water House such a singular honor says something because Wright spent his entire professional career denigrating, attacking and otherwise making enemies at the American Institute of Architects.

And, in addition to the usual roof leaking endemic to Wright's buildings, they didn't even use enough steel to reinforce the first floor. And the Kaufmans, who Wright made the house for, were actually aware of the problem and tried to fix it, but Wright didn't give a shit. It took until 2001 for them to actually fix the issue.

Yeah, not a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright here.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The fact that the structural issues of a house that originally cost $150 thousand to build was deemed to be worth $20 million to repair shows just how highly all of the other elements of this design are regarded.

As architectural design, as opposed to structural design, it was a masterpiece. And FLW was not a structural engineer.

But sometimes his structural engineering intuition greatly outperform the trained calculation of professional engineers. When he designed the lily pad columns of the Johnson wax building, structural engineers said the columns are too weak. He brazenly asked the testers to keep adding to the load on the test column long after the load had already surpassed the required level, and the column didn’t fail until the load was 8 times what the column was required to bear.
Sometimes, but a lot of the time, his roofs still leak right out of the gate. One would think that he’d have the foresight to keep in mind one of the main fucking reasons for a building existing: keeping out the elements.

Overall, I think his designs work better as set design for a film than actual architecture; it looks great as a set piece, and we don’t have to worry about the long-term effects of actually having a fully operating building.

(April 30, 2023 at 8:29 pm)Tomato Wrote: Age of consent is really tricky. And people are so different it probably is better to have the age restriction in place for the purpose of safety. Have I met absolutely immature thirty year olds? Yes. Are there very mature teenagers. Yes.

I think the best thing for that would be: find out the age where losing your virginity stops being correlated with trauma and other problems later in life and put it there. After all, that’s a big part of why we even have (and need) an age of consent in the first place.

There’ve probably been studies that find that cutoff point, and I think this study at least goes part of the way, but I doubt that any nations have incorporated them into their laws.

(April 30, 2023 at 10:38 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Sometimes, but a lot of the time, his roofs still leak right out of the gate. One would think that  he’d have the foresight to keep in mind one of the main fucking reasons for a building existing: keeping out the elements.

well, FLW would probably not agree a little thing like water leaking on your head diminishes the incommunicably enloftening experience of living (mostly) enclosed by his genius.

He famously said democracy is where “when I am hungry, everyone eats”, and there is hardly any doubt that by “I”, he meant only Frank.
(April 30, 2023 at 11:22 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(April 30, 2023 at 10:38 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Sometimes, but a lot of the time, his roofs still leak right out of the gate. One would think that  he’d have the foresight to keep in mind one of the main fucking reasons for a building existing: keeping out the elements.

well, FLW would not agree a little thing like water leaking on your head diminishes the enloftening potential of the incommunicable experience of living enclosed by his genius,  and I don’t speak facetiously.
Which makes his ideas more suited to set design in film than actual real-world architecture. At least in a movie, you can easily enjoy the aesthetics and don’t have to deal with the fact that it can’t fulfill its most basic purpose as a building.

well, I think most of those upon whom his roofs had leaked would not have picked another architect had they been able to do it over again, and with the reputation of his roofs well known, his stature as an architect and demand for his services only continued to rise, to the the point where after his death snd no more new design would be be forthcoming, people began digging through his archives for decades old designs he made that had remained unbuilt in his life time, to build after his death.
The natural vibration note of the earth a is E, but 20 octaves below middle E on a Piano. That is a viberation with a period of 54 minutes.

When a magnitude 9 earth quake occurs, the whole earth will reverberates detectably at that frequency for several years.

The entire reverbration from the 2004 Summatra earthquake was recorded by seismometers, and tyhe recording was playedf back sped up 20 octaves so human ears can hear. The result is a remarkably clear and pure gong like sound.
Mr. Washington's first name is actually meant to be pronounced 'DEN-zul', not 'Den-ZELLE'. I would like to apologize to him for getting it wrong all this time.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 80 1753 May 1, 2024 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1127 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2372 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 721 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1158 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1188 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2925 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 526 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 3667 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 655 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37