Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 2:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
(August 6, 2023 at 11:18 am)Boromir Wrote:
(February 26, 2023 at 4:36 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: There's a theory among some LOTR fans that Tom Bombadil is actually the Witch King of Angmar in disguise. These people are very stupid.

Boru

Pff.. Tom Bombadilis mentioned in passing and one can only build theories.

Bombadil is none other than Ulmo gone native, up the Withywindle. Finally got a girlfriend, who's actually of the order of Maiar. The One told him he can't directly confront Sauron, but he's a great outfitter. One time he equipped Tuor before sending up to Gondolin.
Today is International Female Orgasm Day.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
The HBO series Deadwood consists of just 36 episodes, during which the word ‘fuck’ (and its  derivatives) occurs a total of 2980 times, or an average of 1.5 fucks per minute.

‘Cocksucker’ is a distant second at 273.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Kim Cattrall, who played the Vulcan Valeris on Star Trek VI, posed nude wearing only vulcan ears and eye brows on the Enterprise bridge set.

Leonard Nimoy, who played the other Vulcan in the movie, had the pull to have the photos destroyed to avoid damaging the public image of Star Trek.
(August 8, 2023 at 2:26 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Kim Cattrall, who played the Vulcan Valeris on Star Trek VI, posed nude wearing only vulcan ears and eye brows on the Enterprise bridge set.  

Leonard Nimoy, who played the other Vulcan in the movie, had the pull to have the photos destroyed to avoid damaging the public image of Star Trek.

I rather suspect that, at this point, Star Trek’s public image could only be helped by bit of nuditity.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I think the public image of star trek has been “the emperor has no cloth” for some considerable time now.
(August 8, 2023 at 3:12 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: I think the public image of star trek has been “the emperor has no cloth” for some considerable time now.

It started with the second Jar Jar Abrams Star Trek movie when Khan used a suitcase transporter device to go to Kronos.  If you can do that not even God would need a starship.
(August 8, 2023 at 8:17 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:
(August 8, 2023 at 3:12 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: I think the public image of star trek has been “the emperor has no cloth” for some considerable time now.

It started with the second Jar Jar Abrams Star Trek movie when Khan used a suitcase transporter device to go to Kronos.  If you can do that not even God would need a starship.

Yeah, I won't watch that utter bullshit.

Glad I'm not the only one who calls him JarJar Abrams.

They better not let him near StarGate...
Dying to live, living to die.
5 second charts is the best way to trade the EURUSD.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
In 1976, a Playboy Magazine music poll ranked Karen Carpenter as the best drummer in the world. Led Zeppelin’s John Bonham placed second.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 80 1736 May 1, 2024 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1127 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2370 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 721 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1158 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1179 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2925 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 526 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 3661 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 655 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37