Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 10:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
It is not a coincidence that the total amount of oxygen in earth atmosphere is almost exactly the right amount required to convert all the organic carbon sequestered inside the Earth, i.e. fossil fuel, to carbon dioxide.
(December 16, 2023 at 4:53 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: It is not a coincidence that the total amount of oxygen in earth atmosphere is almost exactly the right amount required to convert all the organic carbon sequestered inside the Earth, i.e. fossil fuel, to carbon dioxide.

Why isn't that a coincidence?
because all of the oxygen in the atmosphere and almost all of the organic carbon sequestered inside the earth are the result from the slight excess of total photosynthesis activity over oxygen respiration activity over geological time.    Photo synthesis and respiration are opposite activities.    Photo synthesis breaks up carbon dioxide, release oxygen into the atmosphere and put the carbon into the body of the plant. while oxygen respiration takes oxygen from the air and combine it with carbon in the food, which ultimately is from body of plants, to produce energy and carbon dioxide.

if the dead plant is buried before it could be consumed by organism doing oxygen respiration,  then oxygen respiration can’t access the carbon, and a amount of oxygen exactly equal to what it would take to convert that carbon into carbon dioxide is left unused in the atmosphere.
The number of lion statues in the world is greater than the number of wild and zoo-kept lions, combined.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 17, 2023 at 8:59 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The number of lion statues in the world is greater than the number of wild and zoo-kept lions, combined.

Boru

If you count statuettes at homes as well as public statues, i am pretty sure the same would apply to elephants, giant pandas, many species of whales, and many other large animals with certain cultural iconic status.
(December 17, 2023 at 8:59 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The number of lion statues in the world is greater than the number of wild and zoo-kept lions, combined.

Boru

And that is a good thing, imo. Now, to reduce the zoo-kept lion quantity...
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
eggroll and pot stickers with sriracha
liver, fava beans and chianti.

oh wait. never mind
In about 600 million years, an increase in solar luminosity accelerating the weathering of silicate minerals will decrease atmospheric carbon dioxide to the point that it will no longer be possible to sustain the C3 carbon fixation photosynthesis used by trees. Plants that use C4 photosynthesis will be able to hang on a while longer.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Chocolate covered brussel sprouts.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 80 1732 May 1, 2024 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1126 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2370 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 721 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1158 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1177 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2924 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 526 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 3660 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 655 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37