Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 2:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
some models suggest the earth will undergo unavoidable and irreversible runaway global warming due to heating oceans sending water vapor into the atmosphere in as little as 2-300 million years. so most photosynthetic organisms may have already died before that run out of capability to sustain C3 fixation.
(December 18, 2023 at 1:41 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: some models suggest the earth will undergo unavoidable and irreversible runaway global warming due to heating oceans sending water vapor into the atmosphere in as little as 2-300 million years.  so most photosynthetic organisms may have already died before that run out of capability to sustain C3 fixation.

That’s intriguing. Global warming doesn't seem like something models would be interested in, let alone make suggestions about. Generally, they’re more focused on bulemia and dating athletes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The Bail (oldest grandchild) made the Dean's List for her first semester in college!

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 18, 2023 at 5:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 18, 2023 at 1:41 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: some models suggest the earth will undergo unavoidable and irreversible runaway global warming due to heating oceans sending water vapor into the atmosphere in as little as 2-300 million years.  so most photosynthetic organisms may have already died before that run out of capability to sustain C3 fixation.

That’s intriguing. Global warming doesn't seem like something models would be interested in, let alone make suggestions about. Generally, they’re more focused on bulemia and dating athletes.

Boru

It’s the reclusive, high IQ parts of the modeldom.
(December 18, 2023 at 1:34 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: Chocolate covered brussel sprouts.

Sicko!!
Dying to live, living to die.
The underlying molecular mechanism that allow ionizing radiation exposure to inflict damage, and cause acute radiation sickness, is essentially the same as the molecular mechanism that causes damage to cells during oxygen respiration.  

for an average person, breathing over a lifetime does approximately 15,000 times as much damage as a chest, x-ray, or 50 times as much damage as all the ionizing radiation at typical person is exposed to over lifetime

in fact, if we are exposed to oxygen concentration, several times higher than normal atmosphere we suffer from acute oxygen poisoning. And the fundamental cause at the mechanism of acute oxygen poisoning, is very similar to radiation sickness.
^I'll expect to see cites for this.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I admit the claims were a bit disingenuous.  Ionizing radiation and oxygen respiration both do damage by producing superoxides and hydroxyls in the cells.    Oxygen respiration over a life time produces about 15000 times as much hydroxyls as a single chest x-ray, or 50 times as much as produced by all the ironizing radiation typically esperienced during a life time.

The disingenuousness comes from ignoring two factors to imply a more general equivalence. 

1.   Cells have evolved repair mechanisms against damages caused by superoxides and hydroxyls.   The mechanism is able to more or less keep pace with the damages caused by normal respiration.    However acute radiation exposure produces much more hydroxyls in small amount of time than respiration in normal atmosphere, so it overwhelms the repair mechanisms.    The repair mechanisms can also be overwhelmed when breathing air with too much oxygen,  this is the underlying reason for oxygen toxicity.

2.  The Superoxides and hydroxyls produced by respiration occur primarily in cellular organelles involved, namely mitochondria.   Hydroxyls and superoxides produced by radiation exposure occurs throughout the cell.   So damage repair mechanisms operates more efficiently against damages produced by respiration than those by ionizing radiation.
Apparently, there was at least one point where Donald Trump actually kept a book of Hitler’s Speeches by his bedside.

https://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2015...ie-brenner
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
You know that tingly, slightly sore sensation you feel in your mouth when you eat pineapple? It's cause by an enzyme called 'bromelain', which breaks down proteins and is widely used as a meat tenderizer.

So, in a small - even miniscule - way, the pineapple is trying to digest you.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 80 1737 May 1, 2024 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1127 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2370 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 721 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1158 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1179 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2925 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 526 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 3661 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 655 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37