Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 4:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Covid 19 conspiracies dump
RE: Covid 19 conspiracies dump
(January 14, 2022 at 7:07 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: @Irreligious Atheist

Why do you reject scientific consensus in favor of the views of a minority of scientists and/or medical professionals? Because the latter set feeds your pre-conclusions? That’s called “confirmation bias.”

Why do you shit all over the scientific method and support squashing debate within the scientific community with mass censorship? I'm the only one that is actually defending the scientific process here. You are telling people to stop asking questions. Other people are cheerleading for censorship and shutting down and censoring scientists that disagree with them. It's gross, and this pandemic has caused you to betray your former principles. You now worship the priest class, and you are suffering from mass formation psychosis.

Consensus science by intense coercion and censorship

And like I've already posted, scientific consensus with hindsight means a hell of a lot more than scientific consensus in a rapidly developing situation. They are not the same thing at all. How can you try to act like they are? Galileo went against the consensus too, and you are supporting the shutting down of scientists and scientific debate. It's shameful that you've thrown all of your principles under the bus, because some people are getting sick with covid. I will stick to my principles, regardless.
(January 15, 2022 at 4:44 am)Irreligious Atheist Wrote: Galileo went against the consensus too, and you are supporting the shutting down of scientists and scientific debate. It's shameful that you've thrown all of your principles under the bus, because some people are getting sick with covid. I will stick to my principles, regardless.

Yawn. Gallileo didn't have a problem with scientists but with Church/ religion.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(January 15, 2022 at 4:44 am)Irreligious Atheist Wrote: Galileo went against the consensus too,
Wrong
Like most of the time.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
[Image: ld5cv4X.jpeg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Galileo went against the consensus too, and you are supporting the shutting down of scientists and scientific debate. It's shameful that you've thrown all of your principles under the bus, because some people are getting sick with covid. I will stick to my principles, regardless.
So desperate enough to use the Galileo's Gambit fallacy. Wow, you really are bad at being a crank if you have to resort to that. You have no principles other than chronic contrarianism.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/...-ignorance

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/...65811.ch27

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logi...eo-Fallacy

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Galileo_gambit

https://www.scienceupfirst.com/project/m...eo-gambit/

https://scienceornot.net/2012/02/21/pers...eo-gambit/

[Image: FHRclqGUYAEWVJp.jpg]

Get better tactics
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

About our Galileo here. There is a famous book called "Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science" by Martin Gardner, published in 1952 that is about pseudo-science and the mechanism of how it swindles people. You could say that James Randi's "Flim-Flam" is a "spiritual" successor to it.

Here is an excerpt on the traits of your average crank:

Quote:He likens himself to Bruno, Galileo, Copernicus who were unjustly persecuted for their heresies. If he has had no formal training in the field in which he works, he will attribute this persecution to a scientific masonry, unwilling to admit into its inner sanctums anyone who has not gone through the proper initiation rituals. He repeatedly calls your attention to important scientific discoveries made by laymen.

Sound familiar?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(January 15, 2022 at 5:37 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(January 15, 2022 at 4:44 am)Irreligious Atheist Wrote: Galileo went against the consensus too, and you are supporting the shutting down of scientists and scientific debate. It's shameful that you've thrown all of your principles under the bus, because some people are getting sick with covid. I will stick to my principles, regardless.

Yawn. Gallileo didn't have a problem with scientists but with Church/ religion.

Actually, it was more that Galileo had a rather abrasive personality and pretty blatantly made fun of the Pope.

Has everyone seen the Crackpot index by John Baez?

https://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

The Crackpot Index
John Baez

A simple method for rating potentially revolutionary contributions to physics:

A -5 point starting credit.

1 point for every statement that is widely agreed on to be false.

2 points for every statement that is clearly vacuous.

3 points for every statement that is logically inconsistent.

5 points for each such statement that is adhered to despite careful correction.

5 points for using a thought experiment that contradicts the results of a widely accepted real experiment.

5 points for each word in all capital letters (except for those with defective keyboards).

5 points for each mention of "Einstien", "Hawkins" or "Feynmann".

10 points for each claim that quantum mechanics is fundamentally misguided (without good evidence).

10 points for pointing out that you have gone to school, as if this were evidence of sanity.

10 points for beginning the description of your theory by saying how long you have been working on it. (10 more for emphasizing that you worked on your own.)

10 points for mailing your theory to someone you don't know personally and asking them not to tell anyone else about it, for fear that your ideas will be stolen.

10 points for offering prize money to anyone who proves and/or finds any flaws in your theory.

10 points for each new term you invent and use without properly defining it.

10 points for each statement along the lines of "I'm not good at math, but my theory is conceptually right, so all I need is for someone to express it in terms of equations".

10 points for arguing that a current well-established theory is "only a theory", as if this were somehow a point against it.

10 points for arguing that while a current well-established theory predicts phenomena correctly, it doesn't explain "why" they occur, or fails to provide a "mechanism".

10 points for each favorable comparison of yourself to Einstein, or claim that special or general relativity are fundamentally misguided (without good evidence).

10 points for claiming that your work is on the cutting edge of a "paradigm shift".

20 points for emailing me and complaining about the crackpot index. (E.g., saying that it "suppresses original thinkers" or saying that I misspelled "Einstein" in item 8.)

20 points for suggesting that you deserve a Nobel prize.

20 points for each favorable comparison of yourself to Newton or claim that classical mechanics is fundamentally misguided (without good evidence).

20 points for every use of science fiction works or myths as if they were fact.

20 points for defending yourself by bringing up (real or imagined) ridicule accorded to your past theories.

20 points for naming something after yourself. (E.g., talking about the "The Evans Field Equation" when your name happens to be Evans.)

20 points for talking about how great your theory is, but never actually explaining it.

20 points for each use of the phrase "hidebound reactionary".

20 points for each use of the phrase "self-appointed defender of the orthodoxy".

30 points for suggesting that a famous figure secretly disbelieved in a theory which he or she publicly supported. (E.g., that Feynman was a closet opponent of special relativity, as deduced by reading between the lines in his freshman physics textbooks.)

30 points for suggesting that Einstein, in his later years, was groping his way towards the ideas you now advocate.

30 points for claiming that your theories were developed by an extraterrestrial civilization (without good evidence).

30 points for allusions to a delay in your work while you spent time in an asylum, or references to the psychiatrist who tried to talk you out of your theory.

40 points for comparing those who argue against your ideas to Nazis, stormtroopers, or brownshirts.

40 points for claiming that the "scientific establishment" is engaged in a "conspiracy" to prevent your work from gaining its well-deserved fame, or suchlike.

40 points for comparing yourself to Galileo, suggesting that a modern-day Inquisition is hard at work on your case, and so on.

40 points for claiming that when your theory is finally appreciated, present-day science will be seen for the sham it truly is. (30 more points for fantasizing about show trials in which scientists who mocked your theories will be forced to recant.)

50 points for claiming you have a revolutionary theory but giving no concrete testable predictions.
Research to learn new things is a virtue. Research to delay you having to acknowledge your wrong is a vice. The research itself is not a virtue.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(January 15, 2022 at 7:37 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: [Image: ld5cv4X.jpeg]

Boru
It says something about a person if they prefer drinking piss to taking a vaccine that’s generally agreed (by those who know what they’re talking about) to be safe.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(January 15, 2022 at 4:44 am)Irreligious Atheist Wrote:
(January 14, 2022 at 7:07 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: @Irreligious Atheist

Why do you reject scientific consensus in favor of the views of a minority of scientists and/or medical professionals? Because the latter set feeds your pre-conclusions? That’s called “confirmation bias.”

Why do you shit all over the scientific method and support squashing debate within the scientific community with mass censorship? I'm the only one that is actually defending the scientific process here. You are telling people to stop asking questions. Other people are cheerleading for censorship and shutting down and censoring scientists that disagree with them. It's gross, and this pandemic has caused you to betray your former principles. You now worship the priest class, and you are suffering from mass formation psychosis.

Consensus science by intense coercion and censorship

And like I've already posted, scientific consensus with hindsight means a hell of a lot more than scientific consensus in a rapidly developing situation. They are not the same thing at all. How can you try to act like they are? Galileo went against the consensus too, and you are supporting the shutting down of scientists and scientific debate. It's shameful that you've thrown all of your principles under the bus, because some people are getting sick with covid. I will stick to my principles, regardless.

You wouldn’t know the scientific method if it bit you in the ass, ya looney. 

Anyway, you sound triggered. Try not to get hysterical; it’s not a good look for you manly men. Or so you say.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Covid-19 Conspiracies The Architect Of Fate 22 2751 July 1, 2020 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah