Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 4:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.83 Average
Atheist demotivational pics
RE: Atheist demotivational pics
[Image: flint.jpg]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Genius!

And I agree with Leo and Kyu that no books should be burned...it's not right.

Maybe the bible is mostly just on about God and therefore a bunch of shit, but not only is it an important part of culture...but even if it was 100% shit...it's just not right to burn books...

It kind of puts you on line with those fundies who burn books on evolution :S

EvF
LOL that'sa great one Darwinian Big Grin
Burning books is tied with rape on my worst crimes list... It is a desperate move of liars and tyrants...
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I think it's definitely a bad crime. But I wouldn't put it as bad as rape :S..

Basically because I don't think it's quite so oppressive and distressing for the individual at hand! - to understate.

It's bad...but I would think rape is worse!!

Morals are subjective of course...

Liars and tyrants do do it...but they also go to the toilet like the rest of us, just because they do it, I don't think that would make it as bad as rape.......

EvF
Not for an individual no... but for an entire community? Rape really doesn't effect more than a few individuals... it is horrible, but it is horrible on the micro scale. Book burnings effect entire communities (Sometimes even civilizations), especially when important books (i.e. history and science texts) are destroyed in a deliberate attempt to control a populace.

The Holocaust is an example of macro crime, Shilang-Ti's (SP?) burning of books in China was a macro crime, the Rwandan Genocide was a macro crime. I don't think you can argue that one person being raped is as bad as those were?

Of course, when present on a macro scale, rape remains the worst. I don't know of any historical mass rapings though, so perhaps it has been done on a mass scale (Apart from Holocaust and the Genocide and similar things i mean)
Heh, sorry, I weren't trying to upset you..

Please don't hate me.
Me? I only hate three people in the world ^_^ Christian (one big, ugly, and stupid person with a dorky afro), Muslim (yet another big, ugly and stupid person who doesn't shower, but he works out), and periodically stupid people who have RtDC and B&W complex. Smile

I'm not upset Smile I hate rape >.<, but nobody blames you for it Tongue

However, i do get very angry if someone tries to say that all women love it and fantasize about it... >.< That has seriously actually happened once or twice... >.<
I'm not talking about the holocaust...I'm talking about book burning...

Book burning is obviously very bad, and yes it effects whole communties, but you couldn't really argue that any one person is effected as negatively as when someone is raped right?

And I think if some books were burned, that' not as bad as one person being raped...because despite the fact we do have empathy, there's nothing really as violating as a personal and physical, direct violation of an individual...I think individual personal violations are the worst...

The holocaust is a different ball game of course, a shitload of people dying horrifically is way worse than books being burnt! People are actually alive, and sentient!

Finally,

This shit is of course subjective, and can never be actually measured properly, but that obviously doesn't mean we can't discuss it - the more discussion the better.

Oh, and to note something on the side - I think it's kind of stupid when people get riled over subjective matters as if they're objective - if it's something really 'offensive' or threatenng on the other hand, then fair enough, but generally I think people can get a bit too miffed over what can't even be measured really...

- And by the way - I'm not talking about you or anyone else on these forums there...I just wanted to mention that on the side, I dunno where or when else to say it ???

EvF
You are completely right so far as i can tell :0 That statement of mine was very impulsive... i think it likely that i never compared book burnings to any other crimes before... and assumed that i had some reason for thinking what i did (although i don't know of any reasons).

I've noticed that same emotive response to many things, and I think it's part of RtDC... and i would really like to see scientific data for that specific complex (which i am almost 100% certain exists in some way or another).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mt. Everest has around 200 dead bodies (pics) Skeptic 31 18568 August 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Funny pics of all kind Ace Otana 74 53012 September 16, 2010 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy