Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 12:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion!
RE: Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion!
Probably the biggest argument against Christianity is the Bible itself. Knowing the Bible and knowing it well is the quickest way to catch a Christian on his/her heels, especially if they're part of the bunch that tries to insist that the Bible is the inerrant and true word of Jehovah.

Jehovah himself is inherently contradictory because of his laundry-list of mutually exclusive powers and personality traits. No all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful being could possibly be responsible for our Universe. For that matter, such a being would never behave the way Jehovah does in the Bible. A not-so-close reading makes it perfectly clear that the Bible was written by Bronze and Iron Age primitives who had no practical knowledge of science, no human rights for women, and no respect for the autonomy of other nations. Even if he did exist, the god of the Bible would be a completely immoral monster if we're to accept what's written about him in the Bible.

There's also the issue of the "inerrant" word of Jehovah containing a shit-ton of factual errors. The creation story is obviously crap; science has pretty well kicked it in the balls with all that "Evolution" and "carbon dating" business. The flood story is also pretty problematic because it would have essentially wiped out the whole planet, even Noah and his boat-animals. The enslavement of the Jews and the Exodus from Egypt completely lack even the most basic archaeological evidence, making it one of the few cases where absence of evidence is indeed evidence of absence.

Jesus himself is also a problem. Even if you go with the mainstream position that the Jesus of Nazareth character was based on one real guy who was actually crucified by Pontius Pilate, mainstream historians still generally reject most of the gospel as being fiction; any way you slice it, the Jesus of Nazareth character didn't exist in the way the Bible said he did. The real human (if there was one) has less historicity than pretty much anyone, and the Bible version has none at all. At most, his baptism and crucifixion happened, and at worst not one bit of it happened.

The simple point in all of this is that if this much of the Bible is definitely fiction, and the test for salvation is believing the Bible, then it means that whoever created the Universe gave us a book that directly contradicts the reality he put us in and then started damning us for not believing this book in spite of all the contrary evidence he sprinkled throughout the Universe. Such a deceptive test could not possibly be the work of an all-loving, all-powerful deity who never lies.

Edit: Oh yeah, and there's also the issue of Jehovah having generally worse moral guidelines than modern day humans. The god of the Bible barely cares about rape, occasionally encourages genocide, and absolutely loves slavery. If he's the highest source of morality, why does he allow things that modern man deems immoral? Why are these things now morally unacceptable except in the most religious countries?
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion! - by Redbeard The Pink - September 25, 2015 at 7:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90914 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  You Can't Disprove a Miracle Rhondazvous 155 17042 March 18, 2016 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7559 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  The dates given by AOS for past events may actually disprove evolution entirely SavedByGraceThruFaith 216 61735 October 14, 2013 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Mutations disprove the theory of upward evolution SavedByGraceThruFaith 512 225687 October 12, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
Question What one thing would disprove Christianity to you? Tea Earl Grey Hot 294 120246 February 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: catfish
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6387 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Atheists: Can you disprove the resurrection or Jesus' existence? nicholas5000 142 49420 December 19, 2011 at 9:30 am
Last Post: ThomM
  Does science prove or disprove the bible Justtristo 8 9422 October 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Outsmarted by a Christian, need help to contradict poc243 43 18478 March 25, 2009 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet