Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2026, 3:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
ironic deconversion
#4
RE: ironic deconversion
(December 8, 2010 at 7:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Interesting story.

As a 'retired' catholic I can understand how people who are raised in it may never question it. I cannot see how anyone could ever willingly accept their bullshit after having attained the age of 10 or 11.

Minimalist, for me, the conversion to Catholicism was an emotional reaction. I was soothed and comforted by the order and ceremony of the Mass. I had just moved 3,000 miles away from my home and family, was feeling very uprooted and overwhelmed and was vulnerable to something that offered emotional solace. Plus, the whole idea of the priest being "Father" when I was missing my own parents so much can't be a coincidence in my choice of this faith, either. As humans, we are both rational and emotional and do not always do things that make sense. This conversion being one of those things. However, I have always been a cynical, skeptical kind of gal, and the initial emotional draw just wasn't enough in the long run. At the age of 41, I decided I was no longer going to drink the Kool Aid and I haven't looked back.
(December 8, 2010 at 7:30 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Interesting story, indeed. Does your husband honestly believe or is he just taken with the community and feeling of belonging that the church provides? Perhaps the local Moose Lodge have been just as good for him.

Paul, he says he believes, although everyone who knows him well is astounded by that fact, as am I. In most respects, he is a very critical thinker and quite brilliant, but there something about Christian faith right now that just gives him what he needs. I am rather bemused by it all and am just sitting back watching how all this will play out in our family in years to come. Atheist mom and daughter and devout Catholic dad and son--sounds like a bad reality show.....
Reply



Messages In This Thread
ironic deconversion - by skeptic68 - December 8, 2010 at 6:56 pm
RE: ironic deconversion - by Minimalist - December 8, 2010 at 7:03 pm
RE: ironic deconversion - by skeptic68 - December 8, 2010 at 7:38 pm
RE: ironic deconversion - by Paul the Human - December 8, 2010 at 7:30 pm
RE: ironic deconversion - by Minimalist - December 8, 2010 at 7:51 pm
RE: ironic deconversion - by HigherLvlofThinking - December 8, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deconversion of a Preacher's Son Old Baby 2 2425 February 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My strange deconversion Excited Penguin 20 9109 July 8, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 11047 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 8263 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  A Southern Baptist's Deconversion Revisited L.A.F.2. 1 2690 October 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  My Deconversion ComradeMeow 2 2859 August 21, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  The deconversion of the preacher's kid christianatheist 11 7128 August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: JimmyM35
  not a recent deconversion xpastor 13 7528 September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Deconversion gilbertc06 0 1763 September 22, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: gilbertc06
  Push me over the edge ! (Deconversion!) Mzungu 16 11235 June 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: MikeTheInfidel



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)