Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 10:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strong Atheism and what it REALLY means to be an atheist
RE: Strong Atheism and what it REALLY means to be an atheist
minotza Wrote:
Rhizomorph13 Wrote:
minotza Wrote:"This is my first post here and I just want to share some of the stuff I've been thinking recently sorry if I may be rambling a bit..I consider myself a weak atheist by the way.."

I thought that was a good introduction lol, what else am I supposed to say?

My purpose in asking those questions was to see where people disagree with me. If you think people would disagree, please, tell me where and on what basis so that I may learn where I went wrong in making my argument.

Well, think if you started a conversation IRL that way. It isn't an introduction. It used to be a requirement to start off with an introduction in the "Introduction" thread but is not required any longer. It IS nice to at least tell us a little bit about yourself rather than just jump into a discussion. Anyway, welcome to the forums. Smile

Here is s thread discussing the topic of levels of belief that you might find interesting. The definitions were hashed out between an atheist (Adrian) and a Christian (Arcanus AKA Ryft). I find value in their definitions and you might also. Smile

http://atheistforums.org/thread-3817.htm...+of+belief

Thanks for that link, I'm reading through it now its very interesting. So far from the first two pages I got that Gnostic Atheist = Strong Atheist and Agnostic Atheist = Weak Atheist? I didn't see much a difference from Dawkins definitions with those two...I'll finish reading it later though since I have some work to do, and I'll put in an introduction after I'm done reading that =D
Ashendant Wrote:
Relayer Wrote:
minotza Wrote:due to the objective things we know about our universe
Such as?

Chocolate is a good anti-depressive

I consider myself a strong atheist, but i don't absolute certainty that there is no god, not 100% but about 99%, and i made my objective of peacefully oppose the negative parts of religion, and try to passively and non-obstructive spread atheism

Who's definition of "strong atheist" do you go by? If your going by Dawkins definition then your contradicting yourself..
I cannot claim with absolute certainty anything, we could exist as you see, or i could be a crazy guy in asylum imagining you or the reverse, or we could all be a dream... or a nightmare,

In essence, i cannot claim absolute certainty only the omniscient can.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strong Atheism and what it REALLY means to be an atheist - by Ashendant - January 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2896 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 2081 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1963 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  What atheism is REALLY all about SisterAgatha 71 10722 October 13, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27786 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7148 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is atheism really a tenet of communism? IanHulett 17 2892 September 26, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12470 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  How many strong assumptions do unbelievers need? Pizza 29 5139 April 1, 2015 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Brakeman
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12708 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott