Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 12:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alevism
RE: Alevism
(January 31, 2011 at 4:59 am)Rayaan Wrote:
(January 30, 2011 at 5:13 am)muhtesem insan Wrote: There's a sect -spesific to Turkey- called Alevism. (not to be confused with Alawi's of Syria) Alevi's differ from other sect dramatically. It's a mixture of shi'a sufism and turkic paganazim -göktanrı(Skygod) religion-, some even says it's a different religion than a sect of islam. I believe it's turkicized version of Islam.

Technically, I don't consider it as a sect in Islam because anything which excludes one of the five pillars of Islam cannot be Islam.

Christians have the same issue splitting hairs over what constitutes "True Christian" ™.

Do Mormons count as Christians? Do Catholics? And then there are the early Christianities that had such varied beliefs about Jesus that none would be considered "Christian" today.

I have a hypothesis that as a religion becomes more dominant in a culture (meaning, greater percentage of the population follows it) they become proportionally more aware of and less tolerant of heterodox ideas in a religion.

I came across this hypothesis when I met with Christians in Indonesia, a majority Muslim country. In this land, there was little knowledge of the distinctions between Catholic and Protestant. A woman I was dating had no idea at first which group she belonged to. In America, being oblivious to this point is almost unheard of and many Protestants don't consider Catholics to be "Christians".

I wonder if American Muslims would be more likely to consider Alevists to be fellow Muslims than those in majority Muslim countries?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Messages In This Thread
Alevism - by muhtesem insan - January 30, 2011 at 5:13 am
RE: Alevism - by downbeatplumb - January 30, 2011 at 6:18 am
RE: Alevism - by padraic - January 30, 2011 at 8:03 am
RE: Alevism - by muhtesem insan - January 31, 2011 at 4:25 am
RE: Alevism - by Rayaan - January 31, 2011 at 4:59 am
RE: Alevism - by muhtesem insan - January 31, 2011 at 5:12 am
RE: Alevism - by Rayaan - January 31, 2011 at 5:28 am
RE: Alevism - by muhtesem insan - January 31, 2011 at 6:47 am
RE: Alevism - by Minimalist - January 31, 2011 at 6:10 pm
RE: Alevism - by DeistPaladin - January 31, 2011 at 6:19 pm